moreno
External Affairs | Courtesy
Pro­fessor of History Paul Moreno is returning to Hillsdale College’s Michigan campus next fall semester after spending several years at the Allan P. Kirby Center for Con­sti­tu­tional Studies and Cit­i­zenship.

Next fall semester, Pro­fessor of History Paul Moreno will return to Hillsdale College after several semesters teaching in Wash­ington, D.C. at the Allan P. Kirby Center for Con­sti­tu­tional Studies and Cit­i­zenship.

Moreno will replace Pro­fessor of Edu­cation Jon Fennell as the Dean of Division III, the social sci­ences. Fennell has held the position since 2009 and is retiring at the end of the aca­demic year.

“As an invet­erate Red Sox fan, Dr. Moreno is emi­nently qual­ified to be dean,” Provost David Whalen said.

“Dr. Moreno is a man of great prin­ciple, char­acter, learning, and devotion to the college, its stu­dents, and its faculty,” Whalen said. “It will be a delight to have him back at Hillsdale. His abil­ities and tem­perament suit him admirably for the duties of division dean.”

Moreno cur­rently serving as the director of aca­demic pro­grams and teaches classes at the Kirby Center.

“I’ve been teaching the WHIP stu­dents, par­tic­i­pating in other Kirby Center events and co-cur­ricular activ­ities, working as a liaison between the Kirby Center and the aca­demic depart­ments back on campus and working with our adjunct faculty here,” Moreno said.

When Moreno returns to campus, he will con­tinue to teach courses in recent U.S. history and the history of American con­sti­tu­tion­alism, in addition to the her­itage sequence core require­ments for freshmen and sopho­mores.

Stu­dents who took classes with Moreno in Wash­ington, D.C. give him rave reviews.

Senior Emily DePangher took Con­sti­tu­tional History of the United States Since 1870 with Moreno during her WHIP semester.

“Dr. Moreno is an excellent com­bi­nation of intel­li­gence, wit, and enthu­siasm,” DePangher said. “Beginning each class dis­cussing current events or his­torical nuances always led to an instructive class time full of his­torical detail as well as broader per­spec­tives.”

“He inspires love of history through his extensive knowledge and the concern he shows for each of his stu­dents,” she said.

In addition to teaching during his time in the nation’s capital, Moreno also com­pleted work on his book, “The American State from the Civil War to New Deal,” pub­lished in 2013. Moreno has pre­vi­ously pub­lished books on affir­mative action and the American labor movement.

Moreno received his bachelor’s degree in history from the State Uni­versity of New York and his master’s degree and doc­torate, both in history, from the Uni­versity of Maryland.

In addition to teaching at the Kirby Center, Moreno has held vis­iting pro­fes­sor­ships at Princeton Uni­versity and the Paris School of Law.

Moreno said he is excited to return to campus and is looking forward to recon­necting with the Hillsdale com­munity in Michigan.

“Apart from seeing more of my freshman daughter, Judy, I’m most looking forward to seeing old friends again,” Moreno said.

Previous articleWe need more music majors
Next articleHHS students educate city council on water safety
Michael Lucchese
Michael Lucchese ‘18 is majoring in American Studies, and is a member of the Dow Journalism Program. In addition to the Collegian, he has also contributed to The Federalist, Acculturated, Conservative Review, and several other publications. In 2015, he reported on national security and foreign policy for Breitbart News. He also hosts a weekly radio show, The Michael Lucchese Show on Radio Free Hillsdale WRFH 101.7 FM. e-mail: mlucchese@hillsdale.edu Twitter: @MichaelLucchese