Hillsdale Royalty: Sauer, Wathen named Outstanding Senior Man and Woman

Home News Hillsdale Royalty: Sauer, Wathen named Outstanding Senior Man and Woman

Sauer, Wathen
Seniors Matt Sauer and Marie Wathen stand on the field of Muddy Waters Stadium during the homecoming game in October. Sauer and Wathen were named Outstanding Senior Man and Woman on Tuesday, Feb. 23.
Anders Kiledal | Collegian

Matt Sauer and Marie Wathen were announced as this year’s Outstanding Senior Man and Woman Tuesday, Feb. 23.

At a class party last month, students nominated who they thought should be this year’s honorees. Both Sauer and Wathen expressed excitement and gratitude at receiving the awards.

“I’m very honored, very humbled,” Sauer said. “Especially considering how wonderful the nominees were. I feel blessed to go to school where the meaning behind the knowledgement holds greater weight because of the student body, the character of the nominees, and of the school.”

Sauer noted Wathen had a busy week, as she was also chosen as the President’s Ball Queen last weekend.

“She’s been on a streak of an extraordinary endeavors,” Sauer said. “She’s brilliant, and she’s kind, and she seems to be so put together all the time, and she doesn’t lose her sense of personability. She’s a very impressive person.”

Wathen said she, too, was overjoyed that Sauer received the award alongside her.

“We’ve been friends from the beginning of freshman year, and it’s been incredible to see how he has grown into so many leadership roles on campus and just been a great friend and a great leader,” she said.

Wathen added: “It was an incredible group of people that was nominated, and honestly, everyone is pretty outstanding. It was a real honor to be even among that group, and so it was surprising but exciting.”