Dearborn Michiganders ‘Feel the Bern’

Home City News Dearborn Michiganders ‘Feel the Bern’
Dearborn Michiganders ‘Feel the Bern’

Hughbanks_Bernie_opt

Dearborn, Michigan — Sen. Bernie Sanders rallied a crowd of local blue collar workers, establishment socialists, LGBT rights activists, and enthusiastic college students with his pro-working class message at a rally at the United Auto Workers’ union Local 600 in Dearborn Monday evening.

In his first Michigan campaign visit for this year’s presidential elections, Sanders tailored his stump speech to his audience — again promising assistance in the wake of the Flint water crisis.

“Imagine being the mom of a bright young daughter and seeing that child mentally deteriorate in front of your eyes from being a bright good student to a student who is now, I believe, in special ed,” Sanders said. “I feel very much that Flint is the canary in the coal mine here.”

Sanders said that as president, he would create an economy that works for the working class, investing 1 trillion dollars in infrastructure, create 13 million decent-paying jobs, and raise the “starvation” wage of $7.25 per hour to $15.

“We are living in a nation which has more income and wealth inequality than virtually any major nation on earth,” he added. “Together we’re going to create an economy that works for the working class, not just the one percent. We are going to rebuild cities like Flint.”

Held in the industrial sector of Dearborn, the rally attracted a variety of attendees. Jaq Arntfield, a supporter who travelled from Jefferson County, Ohio, to help with crowd control, happily expressed her enthusiasm:

“He believes in everything that I have ever since I can remember,” Arntfield said. “It’s amazing to see somebody who can really help us create the change come along and run for president.”

Hundreds of supporters waited in the snow for hours to be admitted to the invitation-only event, forming a line which stretched around the UAW building.

“We want work! We want work! We want work!” the crowds yelled sporadically in the hour before the event began.

“I think he’s the best candidate for us economically and foreign policy-wise,” Richard Walker, a Sanders supporter said. “His economic plan is far and away the best of all the candidates. He properly supports the best interests of the middle class and the poor in this country.”

“The thing he’s most vocal about is the income inequality, and the disparities in general when it comes to social issues — specifically white privilege and mass incarceration,” Sanders supporter Rasha Almulaiki added. “I support him because I feel like he’s our best chance at actually actualizing on a lot of the issues that we’ve been frustrated about.”

When Sanders mentioned Republican frontrunner Donald Trump’s policy of excluding Muslims from the country, the Dearborn crowd jeered: Dearborn has the highest Muslim population in the United States. The Local 600 UAW is surrounded by Arab-American-owned eateries and businesses.

According to Sanders, de-industrialization is the cause of the disappearance of the middle class. The senator explained that he wants to bring industry from China back to America.

“We do not need unfettered free trade, we need fair trade,” he said, to loud cheers.

Sanders also attacked the policies former presidents, especially George W. Bush’s administration’s Middle East policy.

“If we can rebuild villages in Iraq and Afghanistan, we can damn well rebuild Flint, Michigan,” Sanders said.

The socialist candidate has struggled against opponent former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to secure an endorsement from UAW. While the organization has not pledged support to either candidate so far, UAW Vice President Cindy Estrada is a firm Sanders supporter.

“Bernie talks the talk and walks the walk on picket lines with workers,” Estrada tweeted on Feb. 4.

“I’m angry that some would imply that Women who support Bernie don’t support women. Not productive not true!” she tweeted at Sanders and Clinton on Feb. 9.

On his tuition-free education policy, Sanders went all out.

“Last I heard, getting an education is not a crime to be punished,” he said, to ecstatic cheers. “I believe that in the year 2016 when we talk about public education, it’s not good enough just to be talking about first grade through 12th grade, we’ve got to make sure that public colleges and universities are tuition-free.”

Attendees were optimistic about his ability to pay for such an extensive project.

“He’s going to invest in that and cut costs in other areas,” said Laurie Cheaito of Dearborn, whose interest in Sanders as a candidate she said was peaked in the last few debates.

“I think it’s doable,” Sanders supporter Rasha Almulaiki said, of his tuition-free education policy. “I think that the ones who are saying that it’s not realistic are the ones who are not willing to give up the large amounts of money that are put into the military instead of fostering education at home.”

Arntfield said that her young daughter wishes she could vote for Sanders in the upcoming election, citing free education, a $15 minimum wage, and LGBT rights, and women’s rights her own top concerns this election. Arntfield will vote for them both at the March 8 primary.

“I was telling my daughter about him… I said, ‘I’m doing this for you, for your future,’” Arntfield said.