Finals time brings to light a social quirk many Hillsdale stu­dents seem to possess. Throughout the aca­demic year, and most obvi­ously during finals, stu­dents identify and take pride in how busy they are.

Take a stroll through AJ’s at 11 p.m. and eerily similar con­ver­sa­tions can be heard from booth to booth. One student will begin con­ver­sation with a sigh, saying they had a paper, a pre­sen­tation, and an exam all this week. The other student will respond they had two papers, a mock-trial event, and a Jackson rough draft to boot. It mirrors how old men exchange fish stories, with the fish getting bigger with each fish­erman you encounter.

Hillsdale stu­dents should take pride in the rig­orous aca­demic insti­tution they attend. Most stu­dents know the aca­demic rigor rating of our school com­petes with and beats many Ivy League uni­ver­sities. Perhaps that’s the point: Why are stu­dents bragging and com­plaining about how busy they are when we all share the same hectic expe­rience?

Stu­dents who find them­selves playing verbal poker with their class­mates about their hectic homework should realize they are a playing a game where every player basi­cally has the same cards. A student who tries to up the ante by claiming they have another paper or several more hours of reading should realize it is all for nought.

A student’s brag­gado­cious and prideful com­ments about their hectic schedule will almost always fall on deaf ears for two reasons.

First, each student has their own set of assign­ments, extracur­ric­ulars, and per­sonal problems to deal with as well. They will obvi­ously be more con­cerned with these. Sec­ondly, the pride in an over­booked schedule is unwar­ranted. There are roughly 1,400 other stu­dents who share the same expe­rience.

Strolling through the first floor ­of the library — the “talk­ative” floor ­­­— one hears ter­mi­nology similar to that used by sol­diers going through bootcamp. Stu­dents lean over their class­mates’ com­puters saying how they are: “sur­viving,” “hanging in there,” or “just trying to make it until Christmas.”

For a school that was ranked the 16th college in the country for the hap­piest stu­dents, these com­ments of dread seem out of place. That is because the moti­vation behind these phrases is not impas­sioned venting, but rather pro­jection of an image of the student as an excep­tional worka­holic amongst other worka­holics.

Com­plaining is to be expected, but looking down on others or growing an ego based on another student’s schedule is unnec­essary.

Student culture would benefit if this unwar­ranted, prideful behavior was replaced by sym­pathy. Instead of attempting to one-up a classmate, acknowl­edging their stress and offering to help or cel­e­brate with them will provide a mutual benefit for both parties.

Hillsdale College should take pride in the beau­tiful struggle that comes with aca­demic rigor, but stu­dents should be ashamed of the social culture they’ve fos­tered in an attempt to stand out as the most stressed and busy members of one of the most rig­orous col­leges in the country.

Previous articleSelf-loathing in the age of Instagram
Next articleU.S. politics from across the pond
Thomas Novelly
Collegian Editor-in-Chief, Thomas Novelly was born in Novi, Michigan, but was raised in Franklin, Tennessee, making him a self-proclaimed "Yankee gone South." Thomas began writing for The Collegian as a sophomore, and since has served as a reporter, columnist, and Assistant City News Editor. He has also worked for two major publications, interning at the Washington Free Beacon in D.C. and The Tennessean in Nashville. His work has been seen in National publications such as CBS News, National Review Online, Stars And Stripes, and USA Today. Follow him on Twitter @TomNovelly.