Juried Student Art Exhibit to open Dec. 8

Home Culture Juried Student Art Exhibit to open Dec. 8

Students will soon have an opportunity to view their peers’ artwork in the Fall Juried Student Art Exhibit, which opens with an awards ceremony at 4 p.m. on Dec. 8 in Daughtrey Gallery in the Sage Center for the Arts.

The art department expects students to submit about 100 pieces of artwork for judging.

“Any student on campus should come and view the artwork,” gallery manager and art instructor Bryan Springer said. “There are many talented young people entering some really beautiful work. From a liberal arts perspective, it’s important to understand fine art and really appreciate what our students are producing.”

Senior art major Elizabeth Davis, who also works as the student manager of Daughtrey Gallery, said she plans to submit two pastel paintings to the competition.

“I think it’s good for our community to get out and support any art-related thing,” she said. “It exposes you to a lot of different ideas and cultures. It’s a good experience — even if you don’t like the artwork — because it expands your own ideas and can sometimes be surprising. People have a whole different side to themselves that we never see.”

Featured artwork includes the best submissions from this semester’s art courses. Categories include drawing, graphic design, painting, pastels, photography, and sculpture. Prize money will be awarded to first, second, and third places from each respective category.

Students currently enrolled in art courses will have an opportunity to vote by ballot for their favorite pieces. Members of the art faculty will also give awards to the artwork based on merit.

The gallery will be open from Dec. 8 through the end of the semester.