Stu­dents will soon have an oppor­tunity to view their peers’ artwork in the Fall Juried Student Art Exhibit, which opens with an awards cer­emony at 4 p.m. on Dec. 8 in Daughtrey Gallery in the Sage Center for the Arts.

The art department expects stu­dents to submit about 100 pieces of artwork for judging.

“Any student on campus should come and view the artwork,” gallery manager and art instructor Bryan Springer said. “There are many tal­ented young people entering some really beau­tiful work. From a liberal arts per­spective, it’s important to under­stand fine art and really appre­ciate what our stu­dents are pro­ducing.”

Senior art major Eliz­abeth Davis, who also works as the student manager of Daughtrey Gallery, said she plans to submit two pastel paintings to the com­pe­tition.

“I think it’s good for our com­munity to get out and support any art-related thing,” she said. “It exposes you to a lot of dif­ferent ideas and cul­tures. It’s a good expe­rience — even if you don’t like the artwork — because it expands your own ideas and can some­times be sur­prising. People have a whole dif­ferent side to them­selves that we never see.”

Fea­tured artwork includes the best sub­mis­sions from this semester’s art courses. Cat­e­gories include drawing, graphic design, painting, pastels, pho­tog­raphy, and sculpture. Prize money will be awarded to first, second, and third places from each respective cat­egory.

Stu­dents cur­rently enrolled in art courses will have an oppor­tunity to vote by ballot for their favorite pieces. Members of the art faculty will also give awards to the artwork based on merit.

The gallery will be open from Dec. 8 through the end of the semester.