Hillsdale County Fair boasts impressive singer record

Home Features Hillsdale County Fair boasts impressive singer record
A wall at the Hillsdale County Fairground boasts all the singers that have performed at “The Greatest Fair on Earth.” Stacey Egger | Collegian

A square-jawed man in a cowboy hat glowers down from a line of portraits that circles the perimeter of the Hillsdale County Fair office. The picture, “Johnny Cash—1986,” is nestled in the row following “Ricky Skaggs — 1985” and “June Carter and Sisters — 1986”.
The Hillsdale County Fair has hosted some impressive acts over the years.
“We had some of the biggest stars in country music,” Hillsdale County Fair Manager Scott Dow said. “It’s amazing when you think that performers like Dolly Parton, Johnny Cash, were in their prime when they came, we’re talking 40 years ago.”
Dow said that the entertainment industry has changed over the years, and it has made it difficult for small fairs to compete for big acts. But the Hillsdale County Fair has had repeated successes, recently bringing in acts like Florida Georgia Line and Trace Adkins.
“We learn every year,” Dow said. “Music’s changing, the artists are changing. Fairs have to change with the entertainment.”
The Fair concerts carry on a great tradition of quality entertainment for both residents and students.
Junior Victoria Fassett has gone to the performances for the past two years, and she said she highly values the experience.
“Going to the concert has become an annual tradition,” she said. “The names haven’t been as big as Florida Georgia Line in the past few years, but Hillsdale does a great job of bringing in classic country performers. I have always loved country music, and it’s not something that I never expected when I came to Hillsdale — who knew I would be so close to the most popular fair on earth? I hope Hillsdale continues the tradition.”