Sanders leaves Sage Center

Home News Sanders leaves Sage Center
Sanders leaves Sage Center

Sage

After over a decade of service, Ruth Sanders is retiring from working in the Sage Center’s office.

External Affairs | Courtesy

After 11 years of service at Hillsdale College, Ruth Sanders, faculty aid for Sage Center for the Arts, has retired.

The woman who runs the Sage performing arts center ticket box office moved to Florida on Nov. 6. Amanda Glass, the purchase order and accounting associate in the business office, will replace Sanders.

Sanders said she is looking forward to living in a warmer climate and spending more time with her husband.

“He has been retired from the U.S. Navy for about eight years now,” Sanders said in an email. “Also, retiring will allow me more time with my 10 adopted children, two step-sons, and almost 12 grandchildren. Not to mention Petey and Lona, my Jack Russell and Sheltie.”

Amanda Glass will move to Sage in a couple of weeks after the business office finds someone to take her place.

“I am looking forward to the opportunity to working with everybody down there,” Glass said.

Sanders started working for the college in 2004. She began in parental relations and then moved to Sage in 2007.

At Sage, Sanders spent over eight years as the faculty aid doing backstage business for the Performing Arts Series, which Sanders said included seven to nine events per year for the music and art departments.

“I enjoy this job a lot,” she said. “It’s more compact with students and fun faculty.”

Now, she is retiring and heading south with her husband to warmer weather.

“We bought a small place in Florida,” Sanders sad.

She said she would miss Hillsdale but will return for some events in the spring.

Julianne Gringol, head monitor of the Sage Center, helps Sanders with arranging the different acts that come to Hillsdale. Gringol expressed sorrow that Sanders is leaving.

“I’m going to miss her,” she said. “She has always been so kind and helpful. She has been here for so long, and she knows so well how to accommodate the parties involved when setting up for the different performances.”

James Holleman, department chair for Howard Music Hall and professor of music, praised Sanders’ ability to coordinate the art and music events.

He said many previous visiting acts complimented the Hillsdale art and music departments’ hospitality because of her.

“She was a wonderful hostess, and we appreciate her for it,” Holleman said.

Holleman also complimented Sanders’ tranquility even when coordinating proved difficult.

“When she left,” Holleman said, “I gave her a card that said something like, ‘You’ve been cool, calm, and collected in a building full of drama.’”

Gringol agreed: “She will be missed.”