The threat of radical Islam

Home Opinion The threat of radical Islam

Hours before the attacks in Paris, President Obama said that ISIS was “contained.”

How tragically wrong he was.

In the aftermath of this disaster, people around the world have poured out their hearts for the French. On Facebook and Twitter, images of the French tricolor and the Eiffel Tower dominate newsfeeds. Reporters breathlessly cover each new confirmed casualty. World leaders have decried the brutal attacks.

Overall, a sense of shock permeates the conversation surrounding these acts of terror.

But should we really be stunned?

Islamists are dedicated to the total destruction of western civilization. They proved that on Sep. 11, 2001. They proved it again when they beheaded hundreds of Christians in Syria. They proved it, yet again, in Paris last Friday.

But, for some reason, the governing bodies of the West refuse to truly take seriously the threat these madmen pose.

Since the beginnings of the Islamic State, NATO policy has been to “contain” this terrorist group with limited airstrikes. The problem is, ISIS is the most well-funded and best-organized terror network in history. This, coupled with a radical ideology capable of spawning true believer lone wolves willing to commit awful acts of violence, proves the West cannot contain ISIS.
We must either destroy them, or accept these coordinated and deathly terror strikes as the new normal.

We can either respond with boldness, or retreat in fear.

Supporting the Kurds would be a good step forward. They have proven themselves in battle against ISIS fighters. The United States and NATO ought to actually arm them, and perhaps even support the creation of an independent Kurdistan. We must give our allies in the Middle East the necessary support to help them not only keep the frontlines stable, but push back into ISIS-controlled territory.

Another important step would be targeted assassinations of ISIS leaders. U.S. airstrikes and special operations missions ought to be conducted with an offensive objective in mind, rather than simply “containing” the problem.

In addition, the United States should call an international summit with other world powers with an interest in defeating ISIS — primarily the United Kingdom, France, and Russia. From there, our military ought to lead a strategic coalition with a united goal in the Middle East — killing Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi and outright destroying his evil caliphate.

The American people might not like the idea that the United States military must be deployed to deal with this problem, but the simple fact of the matter is that ISIS speaks only the language of violence, and until we annihilate them, attacks like the one in Paris will become more and more common.

Aside from grand strategic goals, western powers, but especially the United States, can take specific steps to address immediate security concerns.

First and foremost, in the coming months we must increasingly scrutinize the refugees fleeing the Middle East to our country. America ought to be a beacon of hope and safety for those escaping tyrants, but we also must consider our own national security. Deeper background checks and round-the-clock monitoring are necessary safety measures.

Beyond that, we must also increase border security. At the moment, there are places on the southern border with effectively no security. This presents a major liability. ISIS operatives may attempt to capitalize on this situation to sneak into our country and commit acts of terror. Border patrols ought to be increased and given a wider scope of power to prevent illegal entry into our nation.

On top of those measures, the counter-terrorism apparatus in the United States, and throughout much of the western world, needs serious reformation. A metal detector won’t stop a crazed fanatic with an AK-47 and a suicide vest. The TSA will not stop a bombing or shooting in an airport. We must recognize that the enemies capable of such wicked acts of violence against civilians are not just the general population — they are Muslim extremists.

Israeli security personnel actively profile on the job, yet their American counterparts are prohibited by law from profiling. As a result, we have a nightmarish bureaucracy of a security system that would be utterly ineffective if confronted by an attack like the one in Paris.

All these things are merely strategic ideas. While implementing them, the United States and her NATO allies must keep in mind our ultimate goal — the destruction of ISIS.

The Islamic State has gone to war with the West. Now we must retaliate.
It isn’t a wake-up call unless we actually wake up.