Students compete in Taekwondo tournament

Home Sports Students compete in Taekwondo tournament

On Nov. 7, Hillsdale students competed in the annual Tae Park Grand Champion Taekwondo World Classic in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Over 400 participants of varying belts competed in events including breaking, forms, and sparring.
Hillsdale sophomore Hans Noyes, a black belt who has practiced Taekwondo since the second grade, competed in the Grand Champion Tournament, a competition for black belts older than 18.
Noyes stressed the important role that respect plays in Taekwondo.
“It is a very hierarchical thing, and you are taught to respect those above you,” Noyes said. “There is such a heavy emphasis on character and values, and that’s part of what makes it so great to me.”
Other Hillsdale students competed for medals as colored belts.
“With Taekwondo, it is less about the actual competition with others, and more about competition with yourself,” sophomore yellow belt Mackenzie Yaussy said. “Obviously you’re out there to be the best you can be, but is also amazing to see what other people can do. Some of the stuff just makes you say, ‘Wow, the stuff that people do in the movies is real.’”
Hillsdale offers two levels of Taekwondo classes, beginner and intermediate, both taught by Master Brian Anderson.
Noyes encourages those of all levels of experience to consider Taekwondo.
“It’s very good at keeping you flexible and in shape, and it’s a ton of fun,” Noyes said. “Master Anderson is great, and he knows how to balance being serious, but also having a good time. The beginner class starts you right at the beginning and is a great chance to get started.”