12185086_10205118114141750_6502961329967922361_o

For the second year in a row, senior women’s cross-country team captain Emily Oren won the indi­vidual NCAA Division II Midwest Regional cham­pi­onship, leading her team to a second place finish behind Grand Valley State Uni­versity on Sat­urday and an auto­matic berth to the NCAA Division II Cham­pi­onships on Nov. 21. For her efforts Oren was also named Midwest Region Athlete of the year.

Later that day, the men’s cross-country team ran their best effort of the season, barely missing qual­i­fying for the national meet.

“It was pretty com­fortable; it was a little faster than con­ference, but con­sid­ering it’s flat, it wasn’t too bad,” Oren said. “It’s easy to be com­fortable when you’re not the one setting the pace.”

In addition to Emily Oren’s win, Kristina Galat, Molly Oren, and Hannah McIntyre also earned All-Region honors, placing fourth, seventh, and 10th respec­tively. Junior captain Joe Newcomb was the men’s sole All-Region athlete, placing 10th in his race. Newcomb fin­ished just one place away from indi­vid­ually qual­i­fying for the national meet.

“It was guar­anteed the best cross-country race I’ve ever run,” Newcomb said. “I feel like I estab­lished myself as an elite runner in the GLIAC.”

Emily Oren was proud of how her team­mates battled during the race.

“Ally Eads and Kate Royer did a good job of trying to stay close to Molly and Hannah because that’s where the last scoring runner comes in, as our fifth runner,” she said. “And Andie Bodary coming back from an injury worked really hard through the race.”

Eads, a freshman, was pleased with how she ran in her first college cross-country regional.

“The whole race I thought I was going really slow and my ham­strings were really tight, but then I PR’d by 35 seconds,” she said.

Alexis Zeis, a sophomore from the Uni­versity of Mary, was the only woman to beat Oren’s 20:16 6K time with a 20:08.

But that doesn’t phase Oren.

“If push came to shove, I can break 20 minutes,” Oren said.

All seven women fin­ished in the top 60 places, but had over a two minute gap between the first and seventh runners. Head dis­tance coach Joe Lynn is con­fident his team can close that gap at the national meet.

“Our one tofive gap, if it’s in 90 seconds, we’re in a really good spot as a team,” Lynn said. “Without a doubt we can be 90 seconds.”

Before Sat­urday, only four of the seven men running in Saturday’s race had run a 10K race, yet Lynn believed they had their best per­for­mance of the season.

“The men ran great,” he said. “I thought we showed a lot of poise in exe­cuting our race plan that we had going in. I was really proud with how they fin­ished on a high note.”

All four men who’d raced a 10K pre­vi­ously posted a per­sonal best time, while the three who hadn’t pre­vi­ously raced in one all fin­ished in under 34 minutes. The men’s gap between their first and seventh runner was the largest of the season — over two and a half minutes — but the race was also two kilo­meters longer than the men typ­i­cally race.

En route to his All-Region per­for­mance, Newcomb greatly improved upon his per­for­mance from two weeks earlier at the GLIAC Con­ference Cham­pi­onships, placing the fifth-highest among GLIAC runners at the regional meet after fin­ishing 19th at con­ference.

Sophomore Tony Wondaal placed 31st, only one place out of earning All-Region honors.

The men’s ninth-place finish at the regional ends their season, but Newcomb believes that the team has a lot of pos­itive things they can walk away with after the season.

“I’m really excited for next year,” Newcomb said. “Our team is going to be really good next year, there’s no doubt, even if we didn’t get any recruits.”

Over the next two weeks, the women’s team will largely con­tinue their regular training schedule, while slightly cutting down their miles so their legs can be as fresh as pos­sible at the national meet.

Even after dropping to third in the national rankings and falling behind Grand Valley at the regional meet, Lynn is con­fident that his team can win the national meet.

“At this point it’s going to come down to who has the best day,” Lynn said.

In addition to Grand Valley, the Chargers will face their toughest com­pe­tition: Adam State Uni­versity.

Even with the steep com­pe­tition ahead, Oren is looking forward to the fun she will have with her team­mates on the trip.

“We’re there for a couple of days and you get to hang out with your team­mates and get excited about the race, and then after­wards when you do really well, it’s just fun to enjoy each other’s company,” Oren said.

The NCAA Division II National Cham­pi­onships will take place on Nov. 21 in Joplin, Mis­souri at the Mis­souri Southern Cross Country Course.