Humane Society laughs its tail off

Home City News Humane Society laughs its tail off
Humane Society laughs its tail off

comedynight1

The Greater Hillsdale Humane Society took comedy to the next level when it hosted its third annual “Laugh Your Tail Off” comedy show and silent auction fundraiser at Johnny T’s Bistro Saturday night, raising more than $8,000 for the society.

“We are extremely  pleased with the outcome of the Comedy Club and silent auction.  The comedians were very funny and everyone seemed to be Laughing their Tails  Off,” said Dawn Hoard, President of the Humane Society. “A lot of time and work was put into the event and we really appreciate, and would like to thank, all those that came, the donors, the volunteers, and the businesses for all of their help and contributions which made it such a success.”

Comedians Ben Wilkie from Chicago, Illinois, and headliner Brian McCree from Flint, Michigan performed for a crowd of almost 300 attendees.

“This kind of comedy event doesn’t come around more than once a year, so it’s a great way to spend a night out,” said Kim Foster, a Hillsdale resident who has attended the comedy club since it began three years ago. “The fact that it supports a great cause makes it that much better.”

McCree, who has appeared on MadTV and Comedy Central, has two dogs and a cat of his own, so the event struck a chord with him.

“I absolutely dig animals, so it was a pleasure to be here,” McCree said. “These kinds of events are always special.”

According to Humane Society Treasurer Kathy Koshelnyk, it takes an average of $10,000 a month to run the Humane Society. This includes animal care, employee salaries, utilities, and other set costs.

in recent years the Humane Society has lost all government funding due to refusal to comply with federal standards for killing unwanted animals.

“They wanted us to become a kill shelter, and we weren’t going to do that,” said Humane Society Vice-President Tom Scheller. “This means we rely on volunteers, donors, and fundraisers to keep our doors open.”

Currently, in addition to the recurring monthly costs, the Humane Society is seeking funding for a variety of upgrades to the shelter, ranging from electrical to structural. With this in mind, the Humane Society added a silent auction to this year’s event.

With items ranging from small to large, including animal care packages, gift certificates to local businesses, and a football signed by Jim Harbaugh, there was something for everyone.

“We started to compile items on Sept. 25th,” said Humane Society Secretary Kathy Hayes, who organized the auction. “It was good to see so many local businesses support us, and to get some of the larger sponsors was great as well.”

The success of the event couldn’t have come at a better time for the Humane Society. According to Hayes, winter often brings an influx of animals, and a decrease in donations.

While the Humane Society does charge an adoption fee, it often does not cover the cost the society pays in the adoption. For the volunteers at the Humane Society, however, it is well worth it.

“We have a program where senior citizens can adopt a cat for $10, and that doesn’t pay for all of our costs, but that’s not the point,” Koshelnyk said. “The point is that these animals get a loving home and a better life.”

Despite all of the adoptions, the Humane Society consistently houses a number of dogs and cats, all of which are in need of a little human attention.

“These animals just want to be loved,” Scheller said. “So many of them have been abused and neglected, so any affection we can give them just makes them so happy.”

While the Humane Society does have a small number of paid employees, a majority of the work is done by volunteers.

Jane Marchese, a volunteer at the shelter, encouraged Hillsdale residents to volunteer.

“So many people think that it’s going to be sad, and it’s not. The animals are so happy to see you and to play with you,” Marchese said. “If you spend just an hour there it will make their day, but it will make your day as well!”

Those interested in volunteering can contact Hillsdale College junior Cecily Parell, the student director for the Humane Society GOAL program, or the Humane Society.

“You aren’t going to have to show up and clean out kennels, that kind of thing is taken care of in the morning,” Marchese said. “You just show up and take one of the animals for the walk, or play with them in the yard. Afterwards you can give them a treat, and it just makes their day.”