Weekend orchestra concerts to feature Bernstein, Prokofiev, and Sibelius

Home Culture Weekend orchestra concerts to feature Bernstein, Prokofiev, and Sibelius

When Music Department Chair James Holleman tried to explain the climax of Sibelius’ Symphony No. 2, his favorite piece from the orchestra’s upcoming concert program, words failed him. Instead, he resorted to his natural mode of communication and began to conduct an invisible orchestra, humming the melody to make his point.

The Hillsdale College Symphony Orchestra will be performing its first concerts of the semester over homecoming weekend at 8 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 24 and at 3 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 25 in Markel Auditorium. The program is comprised of Leonard Bernstein’s overture from “Candide” and Sergei Prokofiev’s suite from “Lieutenant Kije,” followed by Jean Sibelius’ Symphony No. 2.

“For this first concert, I like to have a concert that has some meat on its bones for the orchestra, that gets them engaged,” Holleman said.

When selecting literature for these concerts, Holleman has many factors to consider, including the educational growth of the group, the ensemble’s strengths and weaknesses, and how the music fits in with the repertoire for the year.

Concertmaster junior Stevan Lukich spoke to the educational challenges the symphony poses.

“I think that the Sibelius is the most challenging piece because of its length and breadth,” he said. “It requires a lot of concentration from the entire orchestra just to make it through the piece, plus, Sibelius indicates a very wide array of dynamics and colorations. Getting the voicing of the different sections of the orchestra correct is tricky, as are the many transitions in tempo and style.”

With this level of difficulty, the orchestra maximizes each rehearsal they have, and this year, they have more time than usual. In years past, they have performed their first concert over Parents Weekend, but this fall it was moved to homecoming weekend.

“That’s just the way the calendar fell,” Holleman said, explaining that the theater was unavailable for concert rehearsals due to the Tower Players’ production of “Twelfth Night.”

The dress rehearsals and performances will prevent orchestra members from attending some homecoming events, including Mock Rock and the football game.

“I can tell you as someone who’s in orchestra and loves going to see and partake in Mock Rock especially, I’m really bummed to have to miss it,” trombone player sophomore Jacob Hann said. “I have a lot of friends who will be participating and I can’t go to support them.”

“It is a little disappointing, but it’s nice for the Tower Players to perform for the parents,” oboist sophomore Brigette Hall said. She also explained that the extra rehearsal time will allow the orchestra to jell more.

While Parents Weekend guarantees a large audience at the concerts, the homecoming crowd threatens this trend. Holleman has sent letters and emails inviting music alumni to not only enjoy the concert, but to also take part in a music department tailgate and the jazz afterglow.

The concert should be on everyone’s calendar, whether an alumnus or current student. The orchestra has been hard at work, and they have a lot to share.

“This is serious repertoire played by 18- to 22-year-olds, who are there because they love it, not because they have to be,” Holleman said. “There’s a small handful of music majors on stage, and these people are playing difficult repertoire at a very high level. That’s exciting at a school of this size and in this community. That’s who we are. Come hear who we are.”