Searle Center to open this weekend

Home News Searle Center to open this weekend

The Searle Center is finally finished, and its first event, the sophomore brunch, went off without a hitch this past weekend.

“I didn’t go [to the brunch]… but some of the comments I got were that it definitely improves morale,” Chief Administration Officer Rich  Péwé said.

The ribbon-cutting and grand opening for the Searle Center is scheduled for Oct. 5th, during a luncheon for guests of the upcoming Center for Constructive Alternatives seminar.

“The Searle Center is ready. It’s ready, it’s all set, and we’ve got it all under control,” said General Manager of the Dow Center Theresa Heckenlively.

Heckenlively dispelled rumors that events are being canceled in Searle due to the building not being finished by pointing out that the sophomore brunch has always been the first event scheduled in Searle.

She said that the new space will not be open for student studying or general recreation, but if a student group wanted to reserve the space, they can do so for no charge, in most cases, as long as their group will fit the space. Heckenlively did not specify why some groups may have to pay for the space. Since Searle seats 700, it’s unlikely a student group would use the space- smaller groups are rerouted to other spaces  throughout campus.

External events will pay $3500 for the space. Heckenlively said that, as long as a group pays the reservation fee, it doesn’t matter how many people they bring, within reason.

“Once we get past parent’s weekend, we’ll know exactly how many people can fit in there,” Heckenlively said. “They’re putting the parent luncheon in the Searle Center, and they’ll have more than 700 people.”

Hillsdale College President Larry Arnn told  Péwé that he hopes to hold class- and study body-wide meals in the Searle Center in the future.

“These meals are definitely some of those things we want to do more of with the students,”  Péwé said, “and a way we can take advantage of the space in Searle.”