forensics

The Hillsdale College forensics team won third in its second tour­nament of the year.

The Sept. 25 com­pe­tition, held by the Michigan Inter­col­le­giate Speech League, was for novices only. Hillsdale’s team had finalists in three dif­ferent events.

“We did pretty good,” forensics coach Matthew Warner said. “For half of our folks it was their first tour­nament, so they pri­marily observed. We have high hopes for success this year, though.”

Three novices led the team to the third place finish. Freshman Abigail Allen fin­ished third in Infor­mative Speaking and fourth in Impromptu Speaking, and freshman Henry Lis­ten­berger fin­ished third in Impromptu Speaking. Sophomore Nathan Stein­meyer fin­ished fourth in Prose Inter­pre­tation.

“My favorite part about com­peting is the adren­aline rush and the feeling you have after you perform your speech really well,” Allen said.

Their first, national com­pe­tition was at Western Ken­tucky Uni­versity.

Despite the small amount of time the team­mates spent together, the forensics team learned from each other and bonded as a team.

“Com­peting in a team, regardless of what team that is, teaches you about your strengths and weak­nesses and how well you work with others,” Head of the Forensics Department Kirsten Kiledal said.

The forensics team has con­tin­ually scored the highest in the country for Limited Prepa­ration and Impromptu Speaking.

“There are few schools that can beat us as a team,” Warner said, “and that has been true for a long time.”