Hillsdale policies don’t change after Supreme Court gay marriage decision

Home News Hillsdale policies don’t change after Supreme Court gay marriage decision

hdale

Before Obergefell v. Hodges, Georgia had a ban on same-sex marriage. After Obergefell v. Hodges, this ban was wiped out and the University of Georgia extended healthcare benefits to same-sex couples. Similar situations also played out at public universities in Kansas and Texas.

In a 5-4 ruling handed down on June 26, the Supreme Court ruled that same-sex marriage is protected under the Constitution, overturning state bans in 13 states, including Michigan.

Since going into effect this summer, Obergefell v. Hodges has significantly impacted America’s legal system, forcing institutions throughout the country to change their policies pertaining to marriage.

Hillsdale College maintains its traditional, religious position on marriage and has not had to change any policies because of the decision.

It’s unlikely that future college policies will be affected, according to Chief Administrative Officer Rich Péwé.

“Because of our status as a private institution, they can’t impose Obergefell v. Hodges on us,” Péwé said. “We didn’t do anything other than stay consistent.”

The college continues to only provide spousal benefits to heterosexual couples, said Janet Marsh, executive director of human resources, and employee healthcare plans have not changed as a result of the June ruling.

Any changes in the college’s health care policy would have to be made by President Larry Arnn and the board of trustees.

While the school has a fairly restricted policy on health care benefits, its admission policy is very open.

Hillsdale admits students based solely on their academic achievements, resume, writing samples, and interview, according to Associate Vice President of Admissions Doug Banbury.

College deans affirmed their commitment to caring for all students on campus.

“One of the things I’m reminded to do is to be on the lookout for anyone who is hurting or struggling and to make sure my office is meeting those needs as best as it can,” Dean of Men Aaron Petersen said. “There’s really a ministry out of this office, developing the minds and improving the hearts.”