French Department welcomes new prof

Home News French Department welcomes new prof
French Department welcomes new prof

Theobald

Assistant Professor of French Anne Theobald’s office evidences her love of the subject on which she instructs: French film posters hang on the walls, countless well-worn books line her shelves, and pictures hint at her many adventures in France. It is Theobald’s ever-present smile and enthusiastic attitude, however, that show her to be the well-versed and passionate professor she is.

One of two new professors to join Hillsdale College’s French Department this year, Theobald holds a doctorate in French from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and previously taught at Ithaca College in New York, though she hails from St. Paul, Minnesota.

Theobald’s introduction to Hillsdale is not unlike those of many of its students. She heard of the school through her father, who receives Imprimis. It was not until her visit to campus, however, that she fell in love with the college.

“The minute I stepped on campus, I felt that this was a good place, a place where I could be happy professionally and personally,” Theobald said.

Though Theobald’s introduction to the college resounds with many Hillsdale students, her application process was much more intense.

According to Marie-Claire Morellec, chair of the French Department, of 100 applicants, 25 were interviewed at the Modern Language Association Convention in January in Vancouver, British Columbia.

Selected among these candidates, Theobald and now-Assistant Professor of French Sherri Rose came to Hillsdale and completed the application process.

She interviewed with College President Larry Arnn and Provost David Whalen in addition to teaching sample classes, meeting with students, and speaking with professors of various departments.

Theobald remained unperturbed by this. Instead, she cites the process as one of the main elements that attracted her to Hillsdale, saying she was impressed by every interview she had, as well as the enthusiasm of the students.

As impressed as Theobald was with Hillsdale, Hillsdale was impressed with her.

Morellec explained the French Department was looking for a generalist, someone who can teach a variety of topics in the department.

Having taken classes in medieval and 16th-20th century French literature, in addition to her expert command of the French language, Theobald certainly fulfills this requirement. She specializes in 17th century literature, the era on which her thesis focused.

Theobald is also working on a textbook with her colleagues from Ithaca called “Textures: pour approfondir la communication orale et écrite” (“Textures: Developing Oral and Written Communication”), which is under contract with Yale University. The text is geared toward bridging the gap between beginning and intermediate speakers through the study of contemporary short stories found in modern French culture.

Apart from Theobald’s mastery of the French language and culture, her eagerness to participate in the greater college community helped her get the job, Morellec said.

“We at Hillsdale College are looking for good teachers, but also for someone who can advise students and be an active part of our community,” Morellec said.

Theobald spoke excitedly about a cycling class she will teach at the fitness center on Thursday mornings this semester. An avid cycler, she earned her certification to teach the class this summer, intending to bond with students outside of the French Department.

She loves to be in the classroom, building connections with people who love to learn, and watching them improve with each lesson, which does not go unnoticed by her students.

Sophomore Sarah Dasgupta experienced Theobald’s sample class.

“In the first class I had with Mademoiselle Theobald, I remember her being so incredibly sweet and kind,” Dasgupta said. “She wasn’t intimidating whatsoever, and I felt I could really glean from her without being scared of making mistakes. And when the inevitable mistake did occur, she was gracious and kind in her correction.”

For Theobald, growing in skills and relationships are the most important aspects of her career.

“I just love my job,” Theobald said. “I feel like the luckiest professor in the world.”