farm food

By May, Enactus will open an entirely student-run produce market for the com­munity, oper­ating out of Broad­street Downtown Market and funded by private donors.

With the goal of pro­viding farm-fresh, healthy food at affordable prices, Enactus plans to bring a locally-sourced farm produce retail store to the city of Hillsdale. Though the target market will be low-income house­holds, the business will target stu­dents as well.

“Enactus gives stu­dents a direct avenue to entre­pre­neurship,” club Pres­ident senior Nick Brown said. “It’s an oppor­tunity to get your hands dirty and learn about the free market.”

Enactus plans to open their doors after they develop and finalize a business and mar­keting plan.

“This project in par­ticular operates within the overlap of farm eco­nomics and mar­keting essential food­stuffs to low-income buyers,” said Pro­fessor Bob Black­stock, the faculty mod­erator of Enactus. “Stu­dents will have to research the needs of the farmers and the pro­posed cus­tomers, con­struct a business plan to meet those needs, and find resources to implement the plan.”

Stu­dents will organize into three teams: the farm team will have the respon­si­bility of acquiring the food at the right price, the logistics team will plan trans­portation between pro­ducers and the store, and the third team will organize and package the food.

“I want to get some hands-on expe­rience – if we spend enough time planning, we can make a suc­cessful business that’s a real benefit to the com­munity,” said sophomore Alexandra Leonard, a new member of Enactus.

Since the planning phase has just started, stu­dents can still join the project.

“You can fail here,” Brown said. “Therefore, success will be mean­ingful.”

Previous articleStauff joins music staff
Next articleSoftball enjoys early success in fall season
Quinn Reichard doesn't like writing his bio in third person. He is from Loudoun County, Virginia. In 2013, he founded American Individualists, a political education organization located in Purcellville, VA. At Hillsdale, he intends to major in Political Economy, with a minor in music. In the little free time he has, Quinn likes to ask his friends deep questions, play the organ, play jazz piano, and swing dance. Twitter: @QuinnReichard Email: qreichard@hillsdale.edu Website: americanindividualists.com