Campus Wi-Fi net­works got an upgrade Aug. 25 — the first major change in campus Internet systems since the cre­ation of ResNet last year.

The update included encryption of the two wireless net­works on campus, ResNet and Cam­pusNet, as well as installing a password for greater system security.

“Encrypting traffic from a device to the access point is always a good idea to prevent people with freely available util­ities from snooping on unen­crypted traffic trav­eling through the air,” Network Systems Manager Patrick Char­trand told the Col­legian by email.  “There was no incident prompting this, it’s just an industry standard that we are imple­menting.”

The project was announced several times over the summer, as the change affected everyone on campus. The Infor­mation Tech­nology Ser­vices team dis­cussed merging the two wireless net­works into a new, larger Cam­pusNet and also debated cre­ating a third network specif­i­cally for guests staying at the Dow Center.

“It only took about 10 minutes to program and then required a restart of Cam­pusNet,” Char­trand said.  “All the 144 Cam­pusNet Access Points were given their new pro­gramming, and the upgrade was com­plete. The total time was about 15 minutes — including the 10 minutes of pro­gramming the head end.”