Q and A with Caroline Potter, the paleo goddess

Home Features Q and A with Caroline Potter, the paleo goddess

Q&A with Caroline Potter, the paleo goddess

Caroline Potter ’12, née Cheatum, is a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner living in Hawaii. Her upcoming cookbook “All-American Paleo Table,” where she presents healthy, grain- gluten- and sugar-free twists on classic American dishes, is available for pre-order on Amazon.

How did your time at Hillsdale lead to your nutrition and culinary work?

While in my junior year of college, I was diagnosed with an auto-immune disease, Type 1 diabetes.  After college, I decided to pursue a career in nutrition so that I could better understand my disease, but at the same time help others towards a healthier lifestyle.  I always knew I wanted to own my own business eventually in life but didn’t know that moment would come to me at the age of 23.  When I married my husband, who currently serves in the United States Navy shortly, after graduation I realized that I would be moving a lot and wanted to create a business that was flexible and portable.  I can pretty much work anywhere I have access to a kitchen and my computer so its really beneficial to me.

What was the process of putting a cookbook together like?

More work than you can ever even imagine.  Basically the past three months have been like taking finals 24/7.  It was the most rewarding and the most difficult time in my life.  Once you get past the initial stages of developing a book proposal, getting signed on by a publisher and creating a great idea, you have to test recipes and re-test and re-test.  I was usually on my feet for about 16 plus hours a day, and lets just say there are lots of dishes!  Because this is a paleo-friendly cookbook and all recipes are grain, gluten and refined sugar free the ingredients are much different than your average ingredients and it is much more difficult to develop a recipe.  I also wanted a broad range of recipes so that people with all health issues and allergies can still enjoy each recipe.  There is also the photography part, which is super fun for me, but also a lot of work.

What inspired this cookbook?

I started the idea of a cookbook writing down random thoughts when my husband was deployed almost two years ago.  I realized that all my favorite foods were associated with memories—memories of weekends making breakfast together, backyard summer barbecues, or Christmas morning cinnamon rolls.  I wanted to create a cookbook that for those of use who eat grain, gluten and refined sugar free can still enjoy these memories we hold dear and the foods associated with them.  The cookbook really is more than just recipes, its about coming together around the table, enjoying life and good food.  It will bring back childhood memories and the comfort foods you love back to your table simply made a whole lot healthier.

What are you working on now? ​

I am still in the editing process of my cookbook so very busy with that, but looking to get back into using my nutritional training and doing more personalized consulting.  I also have a few secret projects in the works and notebooks full of ideas as usual.  There is so much I want to do in life, I wish I had more time in the day and didn’t need any sleep.

Q&A compiled by Micah Meadowcroft, Arts Editor