Orchestra bringing year to conclusion

Home Culture Orchestra bringing year to conclusion

The Hillsdale College Symphony Orchestra is making preparations for their final concert on May 7th in Markel Auditorium, featuring solos by senior Hannah Taylor and sophomore Stevan Lukich and an accompaniment of well-known and hidden classical treasures.

Conductor and Music Department Chair James Holleman, has created a set list consisting of classical favorites such as Franz Liszt’s “Hungarian Rhapsody,” and Édouard Lalo’s “Le roi d’Y’s Overture,” as well as pieces that will be new to most listeners, such as Ottorino Respighi’s “Fountains of Rome.” The set list has provided the orchestra and soloists with a pleasant challenge, and they have risen to the occasion in their bi-weekly practices.

“The orchestra members have really taken initiative in coming prepared to rehearsal and then remaining focused for the duration of the rehearsals so that we can work efficiently,” Taylor explained. “This concert features several really vibrant, yet classic pieces that present intricate parts for each orchestral section. As each section realizes the importance of their part during rehearsals, when all those elaborate parts come together, the individual players and sections improve—and of course, the orchestral experience as a whole improves.”

The brass section in particular will be utilized more in this orchestra performance, primarily in Respighi’s “Fountain of Rome.”

“The piece begins and ends with strings and woodwinds, but in the middle there is a full-on sprint for fifty measures or so for the low brass section, which will really showcase our talent,” said freshman Jacob Hann, who plays bass trombone. “This piece is more technically difficult than pieces I’ve played in the past, but that’s what makes it fun.”

Both of the soloists look forward to playing their pieces and are excited for the challenge their pieces have provided in practice. For Lukich, performing his piece has been a goal since he began playing the violin.

“The first time I heard the ‘Scottish Fantasy’ by Max Bruch was at a summer music camp back in 8th grade,” Lukich said, “Every since then, I’ve always really loved the piece and wanted to play it. I finally had the opportunity to study this piece last semester and to compete with it as well.”

Taylor, who will be playing Eugene Goossens’ “Oboe Concerto, Op. 45,” is prepared but uneasy.

“I’ve been playing oboe in the orchestra since freshman year, so for 3 years now,” she said. “But I am a bit petrified at the thought of performing in front of a large crowd. However, I am absolutely grateful and thrilled to have this opportunity to perform with such a talented group of musicians.”

The final performance is a proud send-off for senior members of the orchestra, as well as an exciting conclusion to a hectic finals week.

“I’m really thankful to be able to share this work with everybody in the final concert of the year,” Lukich said. ”My final solo is poetic. It goes out with a bang and ends on a happy note, so it’s a great way to start the summer!”