County will borrow $3 mil

Home City News County will borrow $3 mil

Vice Chairman of the Hillsdale County Board of Commissioners Andy Welden proposed a resolution to borrow $3 million in order to cover anticipated, unpaid 2014 taxes at the county commissioner meeting Tuesday. This yearly strategy benefits the community by generating income, Welden said. Since the county commonly uses this plan to cover taxes, the resolution passed unanimously.

“It’s for 2014 taxes that are not paid,” he said. “We borrow funds to make those payments and as the delinquent taxes are paid, we pay it back off.”

“The rate we pay is less than the rate we charge, so it’s actually a plus for the county,” County Commissioner John Burtka added.

County Commissioner Bruce Caswell also announced that a new, women’s substance abuse center opened on Beck Road in Hillsdale Sunday. He said the majority of women attending will be from the county, but those outside of it will be welcome, too.

Executive Director and pastor at Hillsdale’s Life Challenge rehabilitation facility Jack Mosley opened the center. According to Caswell, the center hopes to receive a state grant in October to help with additional funding. Right now, church and private donations completely fund the center.

Caswell also reported that Hillsdale recently received its annual FEMA grant. This year, FEMA allocated $24,000 to the city of Hillsdale for emergency support services. It will be divided up so Domestic Harmony receives  $10,000, $8,000 goes to the Community Action Agency, and $6,000 to the Hillsdale food pantry. Domestic Harmony and the Community Action Agency will use the money for housing projects.

Nicholas Wheeler, Hillsdale county’s equalization director, gave the 2015 Equalization Report assessing the county’s assets. The report, which put the total of all real and personal values at $1.7 billion, was accepted and approved by the board. This review of the county’s property value includes agricultural, industrial, commercial, residential, and developmental properties.

The next Hillsdale County Commissioner meeting will be its first held in the evening, as the commissioners try a new time to allow more community members to attend. It will be held at 7 p.m. on April 28.