Churchill hostel held at Allan P. Kirby Center

Home Kirby Center Churchill hostel held at Allan P. Kirby Center
Professor of History Thomas Conner speaks to an audience at the Allan P. Kirby Center for Constitutional Studies and Citizenship. (Courtesy of Aaron Sanford)

WASHINGTON ­—
The Allan P. Kirby Center for Constitutional Studies and Citizenship was abuzz March 25-26 as 114 guests packed into the Van Andel Lecture Hall for the first Kirby Center Hostel of the year, titled, “Churchill and the World Wars.”
College President Larry Arnn and Professor of History Thomas Conner presented lectures on Churchill’s leadership during the early 20th century throughout the two days, just as they would in a classroom.
“Lectures are directly from the classroom in the spirit of the guests truly experiencing what it’s like to attend Hillsdale,” Director of the Hillsdale Hostel Program Peggy Youngs ’06 said. “Often my guests will lament, wishing they could come back full time. It’s a learning vacation.”
Hillsdale hosts seven hostels in the summer at Hillsdale’s main campus, one at Rockwell Lake Lodge, and one in both fall and spring at the Kirby Center. They are primarily attended by friends of the college, members of the President’s Club, and older family members of Hillsdale students. This summer, the program will feature its first intergenerational hostel, designed for both younger students and older family members.
“I think the lecturers and the way it’s laid out that we can meet all the other people — the hospitality and the interaction among the participants — makes it especially enjoyable for me,” President’s Club member Janet Rocker said. She traveled with her husband, Bill, from Atlanta, Georgia, to attend the event.
Hostels are two to seven days of lectures on topics such as the ancient roots of Western Civilization, philosophy and religion, the Constitution, economics, literature, and Islam and the West.
“It piggybacks on Dr. Arnn’s mission to teach anyone who’s willing to learn. Although we have a variety of topics, there’s always a Constitutional foundation to the lectures,” Youngs said. “It also allows friends of the college who didn’t have the opportunity to attend to experience what it’s like to sit in a Hillsdale classroom.”
While enjoying outings and social events at Broadlawn, Hillsdale’s John Anthony Halter Shooting Sports Education Center, and area museums, hostel attendees enjoy sharing views and exchanging ideas with their comrades — just like being in school again.
“I think the bottom line for me is being able to be with people of like mind,” Janet Rocker said. “Where we live, we have to be so politically correct about everything that it’s refreshing to be with people who are like us, who have the same values about the U.S., about the Constitution, about personal responsibility.”
“We know that we all value what Hillsdale is doing,” Bill Rocker agreed. “That’s what attracted us to Hillsdale in the first place — the camaraderie that exists among supporters. It’s about common goals: enthusiasm for the school, enthusiasm for the program.”
The Hillsdale Hostel Program will return to the Kirby Center in October, with a new program titled “The War of 1812 and the Madison Presidency.”