Choir sings for peace Sunday

Home Culture Choir sings for peace Sunday

The Hillsdale College Concert Choir and Chamber Choir will perform their spring concert at College Baptist Church at 3 p.m. Sunday. It will be the choir’s second concert of the year, which will display the talents of singers with all different levels of experience.

The concert’s centerpiece will be Karl Jenkins’ “The Armed Man: Mass For Peace,” which will be performed with the Hillsdale College Symphony Orchestra.

Senior choir members will be honored with an introduction and will receive a rose. The seniors will also sing the first song’s opening stanza before being joined by the rest of the choir.

The Concert Choir is made up of over 100 students while the Chamber Choir is composed of 29 members.

“It is cool when we have over 100 members in the choir, because there are a lot of professors and other students that are in class with members and come show their support,” said James Holleman, chair of the music department.

The concert will be open to the public and free for everyone in the community. Because there will be only one performance, reservations are not required.

The concert will be a good opportunity to see what choir students have been working on during the semester.

“For me, choir is a great place to let all of the stresses of your other classes just filter out and just focus on music,” freshman Madeline Conover said. “I love getting to perform challenging pieces with wonderful people.”

In total the concert will consist of seven pieces, and will be something that faculty, students, and community members can all enjoy together.

“My favorite part about choir is being able to be part of something that makes something so beautiful. Choir has provided me with an outlet to be creative and it is a good way to free your mind,” freshman Elizabeth Turner said.

For the seniors in the concert it will be the last chance to share their musical talent with the student body and the community as a whole. For the freshmen, sophomores, and juniors it will be an opportunity to show everyone the hard work that has been put in by the group during the year and leave for the summer with a job well done.

“Being in the choir has been a great experience. Its a good time with great people. I definitely plan on being a member in the future,” Conover said.

The walls of College Baptist Church will reverberate with the best voices Hillsdale College has to offer Sunday.