Cheers to Charlotte

Home Features Cheers to Charlotte

Charlotte Truitt is one of the women that has knocked on dorm doors every morning, and has been for the past 38 years.

Truitt has devoted herself to Hillsdale housekeeping for nearly four decades—a length that surpasses even the most long standing of professors. This semester will be her last, however, as she plans to retire this summer.

Having worked at Hillsdale for such a vast amount of time, Truitt will surely never be in want of memories. Truitt has interacted with a massive number of students during her time here, giving her a unique perspective on what sort of college Hillsdale was in the past and how it is today.

“It’s one of my favorite aspects of Hillsdale, from a non-academic standpoint,” said junior Simpson resident Josh Hamilton. “The fact that I don’t have to clean my room never ceases make my friends at home jealous.”

Truitt always treasured the perks of her job in creating relationships with students.

“Meeting the kids has always been my favorite part of the job,” she said. “In my time here I feel as though I’ve met people from all over the world. The students have always been so kind and respectful.”

Truitt spent 32 years of her time at Hillsdale working in Mauck Residence. She also worked in Simpson Residence and the Suites and currently oversees Galloway Residence as well.

“Every time I go into a room I want to start a conversation with whoever is inside,” Truitt said, “I love getting to know the kids. Where they’re from, what they hope to do. Everyone always has such unique stories.”

Freshman Joshua Paladino says he will miss his morning chats with Truitt.

“It’s always a joy to receive a knock on the door from Charlotte in the morning,” Paladino, a Galloway resident, said. “She is warmhearted and genuinely tries to get to know the guys in Galloway. I believe that all of Galloway feels the same way, will miss having her around.”