Checker Records will cel­e­brate Record Store Day by selling limited edition records — many of which are col­lection pieces. Is is one of almost 1,400 other inde­pendent record stores in the United States that will cel­e­brate on April 18.

“They go to the artists and ask if they’d like to submit any­thing,” John Spiteri said. “It’s only for inde­pendent record stores, and you’re only allo­cated a certain number of pieces per store.”

Cel­e­brating records since 2007, the Record Store Day website says it aims to cel­e­brate and support the unique culture of records and record stores throughout the world.

Spiteri said his wife, Robin Spiteri, orders as many records as she thinks Checker Records can sell. The store receives about 67 percent of what it orders.

“The day is set up to bring vinyl buyers back into the inde­pendent record store,” John Spiteri said. “It also hopes to create new buyers.”

The Record Store Day orga­ni­zation also fills similar orders and goals during Black Friday, when many people are looking to buy.

Buyers can find exclusive releases on vinyl, such as Flo­rence and the Machine, Mumford and Sons, Vampire Weekend, The Replace­ments, and Tears For Fears. Col­lectors and record afi­cionados can find the full release of records that will be sold online.

Checker Records will be open during its usual store hours 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. on April 18 for both record and coffee buying.