Checker Records will celebrate Record Store Day by selling limited edition records — many of which are collection pieces. Is is one of almost 1,400 other independent record stores in the United States that will celebrate on April 18.

“They go to the artists and ask if they’d like to submit anything,” John Spiteri said. “It’s only for independent record stores, and you’re only allocated a certain number of pieces per store.”

Celebrating records since 2007, the Record Store Day website says it aims to celebrate and support the unique culture of records and record stores throughout the world.

Spiteri said his wife, Robin Spiteri, orders as many records as she thinks Checker Records can sell. The store receives about 67 percent of what it orders.

“The day is set up to bring vinyl buyers back into the independent record store,” John Spiteri said. “It also hopes to create new buyers.”

The Record Store Day organization also fills similar orders and goals during Black Friday, when many people are looking to buy.

Buyers can find exclusive releases on vinyl, such as Florence and the Machine, Mumford and Sons, Vampire Weekend, The Replacements, and Tears For Fears. Collectors and record aficionados can find the full release of records that will be sold online.

Checker Records will be open during its usual store hours 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. on April 18 for both record and coffee buying.