Abandoned Stock Mill soon to be mineral mixing plant

Home News Abandoned Stock Mill soon to be mineral mixing plant
The F.W. Stock & Sons Mill (Macaela Bennett/Collegian).

The F.W. Stock & Sons Mill will soon be bought and renovated by Mar-Vo Mineral as soon as CEO David Wheeler obtains a $78,750 grant from the federal government through the Michigan Economic Development Corporation. The Hillsdale City Council approved the MEDC’s letter of intent to fund the project and begin the grant application process at its Monday meeting.

“Mr. Wheeler had to get a business plan for the mill and get it reviewed — we’re in the process of filling out the application for the grant,” Director of Hillsdale Economic Development Mary Wolfram said. “City council approving the letter of intent is the most important piece — MEDC has essentially said it will fund this. It is its intention to fund this.”

Councilperson Adam Stockford said Mar-Vo Mineral will bring four new jobs to the city as a result of the company’s upcoming purchase of the mill.

“I think this is just the greatest thing,” Stockford said. “It’s awesome for that mill.”

The mill’s current owner — Dr. Jeffrey Horton — and Wheeler almost didn’t come to an agreement.

Wheeler drives by the old mill on Bacon Street several times a week, watching the factory buildings and silos deteriorate and mourning their disuse. Two years ago, Wheeler’s mineral mixing business Mar-Vo Mineral — which develops nutrition supplements for livestock and is sold in major retail stores like Cabela’s, Tractor Supply, and Rural King — began growing rapidly, and Wheeler started looking for a new facility in which to expand the business. Wheeler contacted Horton about renting or purchasing the mill buildings.

“I saw those eight loading docks at the mill and that big warehouse not being used, and I got a hold of Dr. Horton mostly to see about renting space temporarily,” Wheeler said. “We talked about possibly purchasing the buildings. It didn’t work out because the price was too high.”

But Wheeler was determined to see the mill restored to use. Earlier this year, Wheeler and Horton set up a purchase agreement for Wheeler to buy the mill after obtaining a federal grant to help with the renovations.

“I talked to him again and he was much more reasonable about the price, so we set up a document,” Wheeler said.

Once the grant is approved, Wheeler will purchase the mill from Horton in late June at the earliest. Wheeler’s “Phase One” — which involves cleaning and repair — will cost $185,000, of which the grant will cover $78,750.

“They have about a three-month process before the grant will be final, so I can’t make any improvements until that’s final,” Wheeler said. “The first phase is to utilize the warehouse, so we’ll be really busy through September and October. In November and December we’ll move equipment in and actually start manufacturing in the mill.”

According to Wheeler, before he can begin manufacturing in the mill “there’s a lot of cleaning and power that needs to run through it.”

“The roof needs major repair and that has to do with structural integrity, so that will be number one priority,” Wheeler said. “The external noticeable things will be repainting the warehouse, fixing the windows, paving the parking lots, and some landscaping.”

Because the mill facility is so large and Mar-Vo Mineral will need only some of the buildings, Wheeler said he hopes to rent out the silos and other unused parts of the facility.

“There’s a lot more square footage than I will likely need, so I would like to partner with other companies that need space,” Wheeler said.

Wolfram said she wants to see all of the abandoned buildings in Hillsdale redeveloped, and that Wheeler’s initiative will help spur economic growth in Hillsdale.

“Wheeler is taking a big risk. That’s a big facility to take on,” Wolfram said. “He’s local, and he wants to build this business up for his children.”
Councilperson Bruce Sharp, who spoke to Wheeler at the mill last week, is confident Wheeler will succeed in his restoration of the mill.

“He’s the kind of person who wants to achieve what he’s set forth to do,” Sharp said.

Wolfram believes the grant application and award process will go smoothly and that it’s only a matter of time until the mill is fully operational under Wheeler’s supervision.

“All the pieces fit,” Wolfram said. “Dave is just waiting to get in there.”