United Nations comes to Hillsdale

Home News United Nations comes to Hillsdale

Hillsdale’s new Model United Nations gathered in the formal lounge on Monday for an introductory meeting.
Freshman Nathan Putrich, president and founder of the group, presented the needed qualities for a MUN member. The group, which is looking for new members for its first year, will meet in the Formal Lounge every two weeks, starting at 8:00 p.m. next Monday.
“MUN embodies what Hillsdale is all about — political debates, communication of ideas, leadership,” Vice President freshman Serhiy Bosyk said.
Putrich said member students need to be familiar with speech, debate, or MUN, and have interest in international relations.
“MUN is a dynamic experience that educates, informs, and inspires,” he said. “Because of that, club members are all working together to build future leaders and their skills.”
After reflecting on his experiences with MUN in Warsaw, Poland, Bosyk predicted that the Hillsdale branch could add to the college’s renown.
“It will develop a name for Hillsdale College and build a better reputation for the college. It will also contribute to the international name of Hillsdale,” he said. “Ultimately, it will add to the diversity of the college.”
Putrich shared a bit of his vision for the club for this semester.
“We are looking to develop the spirit of the group and the skills that the members will be using for the conferences next semester,” he said.
The club leaders said they have their sights set on attending prestigious conferences such as the ones offered by University of Chicago, Harvard, Columbia, and the University of Pennsylvania.