President’s Ball court awaits crowning

Home News President’s Ball court awaits crowning

Morgan Delp                                                              

The editor-in-chief of the Collegian is from Holland, Ohio, and is majoring in history. She plans to pursue a career in teaching, journalism, or both.

List four adjectives that describe yourself:
Sensitive, engaging, driven, and smart.

Who has been the biggest influence in your life and why?

My parents have been my biggest influence, without a doubt. Everything that’s good about me comes from them. They taught me to strive to do the right thing, to work hard, to love learning, to invest in people, to have fun, and to love God with all my heart. I would be nothing without their selfless example.

Julie Finke

The biochemistry major from West Chester, Ohio, is planning to be married after graduation. She will move to Cincinnati, and hopes to work for a hospital or pharmaceutical company.

Outgoing, Responsible, Caring, Joyful

I have a wonderful mother, and I strive to be more like her every day. One often prays for amazing parental examples, and I am blessed to say that I have them. My mother leads by example, and her patience is unending. To give us the education she and my father wanted us to have, she quit her job and homeschooled five very unique children. She rarely raised her voice when we did wrong, but rather responded with love and Scripture verses. She always had encouraging words or delicious meals to offer to struggling friends, and by doing so she fostered a spirit of service in her children.

Lindsay Kostrezwa

An accounting major from Traverse City, Michigan, she plans to return home next year to work as a staff accountant for Plante Moran.

Determined, dependable, genuine, happy

My dad has absolutely has been the biggest positive influence on my life. Not only has he provided me with a loving home to grow up in, but also he has been an incredible role model. The life lessons he instilled in me continually shape my decisions, and the lifestyle he has chosen to lead guides me as I prepare for the professional world.

Heather Lantis

A Hillsdale native and history major, Lantis plans to enter classical secondary education as a history and math teacher.

Joyful, Faithful, Competitive, Compassionate

My father has been undoubtedly the biggest influence in my life. He has been my biggest teacher, companion, coach, fan, and mentor. Aristotle said, “Those who educate children well are more to be honored than they who produce them; for these only gave them life, those the art of living well.” My father, though he did give me life, has done his best to teach and exemplify the art of living well. From teaching me when I was five years old how to throw a spiral to impress my brother and his friends into letting me play backyard football with them, to teaching me how to live a life honoring and glorifying to Lord, Jeff Lantis has been my greatest teacher. He has taught me how to live a life of humility, a life centered on the active pursuit of good things, and a life of discipline.

Shelly Peters

A native of Cincinnati, Peters is majoring in Christian Studies. Next year she plans to be a teacher for missionary children in Burundi, Africa.

Learning, Changed by Christ’s love, Eager to serve, Hopeful

My Lord and Savior is not just a nebulous God in the sky but He is an everlasting, all-powerful, and personal Father. By His love, He came and took my place allowing me to be adopted as His daughter. He is my greatest influence because without Him, I would not be here and would have no purpose. He has changed me and given me His love to freely give to others as a way of loving Him.

Joe Banovetz

From Stevens Point, Wisconsin, he will pursue a Ph.D. in his undergraduate field, chemistry.

Inquisitive, Practical, Entertaining, Helpful

If you could change one thing about Hillsdale College, what would it be and why?   

I would put a statue of Sir Isaac Newton or Madame Curie in the lobby of Strosacker to commemorate their contributions to scientific knowledge and inspire students in the sciences.
Spencer Bell

An economics and German double major, he hails from Frankenmuth, Michigan, and hopes to pursue a graduate degree in economics from George Mason.

Dedicated, Excited, Empathetic, Cheerful

My dad has had the most significant impact on my life. Through his actions and words of encouragement, he has taught me what it is like to work hard, show compassion, and have fun. He coached me in almost every sport growing up, and never ceased to try to educate me in the important things of life, including my faith. Without him, I certainly would not be who I am today.

Luke Bessmer

From Omaha, Nebraska, Bessmer is a biochemistry major who next year will attend dental school at the University of Nebraska Lincoln College of Dentistry.

Trustworthy, sincere, loyal, patient

I would like to see the Career Services office develop a good system of pairing current students or recent graduates with alumni working in the student’s field of interest. Hillsdale alumni would love to help other Hillsdale graduates find a job, apply for an internship, or simply help them network with other employers. I certainly would have found it helpful to know a Hillsdale graduate in the Omaha area that practiced medicine or dentistry prior to my graduation.

Matt O’Sullivan

A philosophy and religion double major from Bear, Delaware, he plans to enter seminary with the long-term goal of vocational ministry or professorial work.

Steadfast, Diligent, Compassionate, Energetic

Pastor Jim Weaver, my local pastor and mentor since high school, has been the biggest influence in my life. From guiding me through my toughest personal struggles to calling me and checking in several times every semester, Pastor Weaver has been a humble example in my life of what a godly man looks like. Incidentally, he is also my girlfriend’s father (I started dating his daughter several years after he became my mentor!), but even so, he continues to invest his time and counsel in me as I pray about a call to ministry.

Garrett West

From Jacksonville, Florida, West is majoring in philosophy. He plans to enter law school after a year of work.

Dedicated, analytical, contemplative, male.

I would make honors seminars, or something similar, more accessible to and perhaps required for all students. The seminars are usually inter-disciplinary, and they attract an inter-disciplinary set of students, so they encourage students to think more broadly.
Professors tend to teach those courses on a subject they want to learn more about, and so the discussions tend to feel more collaborative. Further, the courses are much less pressure, so students can enjoy them more.