Off-campus sign-ups lower, chances higher

Home News Off-campus sign-ups lower, chances higher

This year, there are far fewer applicants for off-campus permission, but there are also fewer beds on campus to fill.
This means there is an excellent chance that the majority of those on the list will be able to have their very own off-campus home.
“The list is looking light this year on the girls’ side,” Dean of Women Diane Philipp said. “The boys have smaller numbers as well. We usually have a healthy balance of students who want to stay on campus versus students who wish to go off, and, traditionally, almost everybody on the list has gotten off.”
The criteria for off-campus permission has stayed the same since last year. High school graduation year and number of Hillsdale College credits determine priority. This is to ensure that older students get first priority for living off campus.
The deans go down the list and start granting students permission from top to bottom, so students can start searching for their perfect college abode.
“Those students with 90 Hillsdale credits or above are almost guaranteed to get off-campus permission,” Philipp said.
The top priority for the college is filing the 1,040 campus beds first. With the current renovations in Simpson Residence removing roughly 30 beds, and future renovations planned for McIntyre Residence, there will be fewer beds to fill on campus. This led to more sophomores being able to go off campus last year and will also increase students’ chances for being granted permission this year.
The college has built great relationships with local Hillsdale landlords over the years, and students can get excellent housing information from the deans’ offices.
John Repik has been renting homes to Hillsdale students since 2006, and said he can see why many students enjoy off-campus living.
“I offer properties that provide more bang for a student’s buck,” Repik said. “I don’t just paint and clean up these homes, but remodel them and make them unique and fun for the students who stay there.”
Off-campus housing in Hillsdale truly provides an affordable and unique living experience. There are also off-campus options that are owned by the college that offer some unique perks such as free trash pickup, school maintenance on call, and snow plowing.
“I absolutely love living off campus,” senior Casey McKee said. “There is nothing like having a place you can call your own, and relax with your housemates and friends.”
McKee is a resident at the Bounce House and said he enjoys having the freedom to make great memories in his place.
“My friends and I make meals together, have people over for movies, and have long memorable discussions late at night,” he said. “We have made some great memories together.”