Charger Chatter: Lane White

Home Sports Charger Chatter: Lane White

Lane White is a freshman from Dayton, Ohio. He plans to major in exercise science and attend graduate school to study physical therapy. As a member of the track team, White runs the 400m and 200m races. He was recently named GLIAC Men’s Track Athlete of the Week.

When did you first become interested in track?

I would say junior high. I’ve always ran stuff when I was little, open races here and there, because my dad did it and he kind of got me into it. I did track in junior high and loved it.

What was it like to win your first race as a freshman?

It was nice. The coaching here is really well, so I have to give that to the coaching. I can’t wait until championship season comes around and we can really see what we can do.

What do you think contributed to your winning GLIAC Men’s Track Athlete of the Week?

I have no idea, I didn’t expect that. It was nice to get recognition. I feel like any one of the guys could have gotten it that week. We had a lot of good performances, and we still have more to come.

What are your personal records for your events?

My personal record is 21.8 for the 200m and 48 flat for the four hundred.

Is there any one moment that you’ve had in your track career that you’re really proud of?

I would say winning state last year as a high school senior.

What drew you to Hillsdale College?

I think Coach Towne was a big part of that. I think he really believed in me, and he was one of the few coaches that I could feel believed in me. I got injured my junior year, so I didn’t get a whole lot of experience, or time on the track my junior year, which is prime recruiting time, and Coach Towne still believed in me when not a whole lot of coaches did.

What is your favorite part of track?

The people. Definitely the friends I’ve met on the track team. They’re all awesome, a lot of fun.

What is the most difficult part of track?

The workouts. The workouts are tough, but they’re manageable. Maybe having 6 a.m. [practices] every now and then. Getting up for those is kind of rough.

What is your training regimen like?

We go Monday through Friday, sometimes Saturday, of running, and then lifting three days a week on top of that. Some people go more, if they do a field event on top of running, then they have to stay more to practice the field event and get their running workout in.

Are you involved in anything outside of track?

No, not yet. I would like to get involved in something, I just haven’t found anything for me yet.

Has track helped you with your time management?

Definitely, yeah. It makes me get stuff done when I have open time, instead of putting it off, because I know I won’t have that time later. Coach stays on top of my grades, so I think that has helped me want to study more and get better grades.

What made you interested in physical therapy?

Back in highschool, I pulled my hamstring and had to go to a physical therapist for a month to get it back to 100% and the people I met there were awesome. They were all very interested in getting me better, and I saw they had a lot of fun in the office, and it seemed like something I would like to do.

Do you have any goals for the rest of the season?

I would like to go to nationals with most of the team, of course, I’d like to get a lot of other people there. We’re on track right now to get a lot of the guys to go. Hopefully we can get some more, including myself. I would like to eventually win GLIACs too. I know in the past, Grand Valley State has dominated, and I would like to take them down one time.