Winter storms across the nation last weekend left Hillsdale College sports teams stranded. The men’s and women’s bas­ketball teams were delayed in the Upper Peninsula after their weekend games at Northern Michigan Uni­versity, while  members of the track and field teams were held up in Boston for many days after the David Hemery Valentine Invite on Sat­urday.

The bas­ketball teams headed up north on Wednesday for  games on Thursday and Sat­urday, and were set to leave right after their final game. Instead, snow delayed them from returning until Sunday evening.

Senior Chelsea Farrell, a center on the women’s bas­ketball team, said that during her four years on the team, they have never been delayed by snow. The teams stayed in Mar­quette because major highways and the bridge were closed.

“On the way to our game the con­di­tions were awful,” Farrell said in an email. “It was a white out and I am sur­prised our bus driver could even see the roads. Almost every­thing in town was closed because it was deemed a civil emer­gency. The snow was coming in sideways and even our big bus was sliding and having a hard time getting up hills.”

She also said that the delay did not affect the team’s routine, but it was weird to have free time without preparing for a game.

The blizzard and freezing 60-mph winds that chilled Boston caused the can­cel­lation of flights for Hillsdale track and field ath­letes. The team, which planned to return Sunday morning, did not arrive until late Tuesday.

Junior Corinne Zehner, who runs sprints and hurdles for the women’s track team, said that she was not totally unpre­pared for the delay, because the same thing had hap­pened to the team two years ago at the same meet. She said that the sleep cycle was affected more than any­thing because they needed more time in the morning to get around in the snow.

“Even just going five miles down the road can take an hour because you have to go either by the bus or train or walk,” she said.

She said that the team was still able to get in normal workouts and prac­tices, but trans­portation around the city was a chal­lenge in the weather, and cars were buried.

“I can hon­estly say it is probably one of the coldest things I’ve ever expe­ri­enced, walking around the city,” Zehner said.