New exercise equipment for women’s dorms

Home News New exercise equipment for women’s dorms

The exercise equipment removed from women’s residence halls Jan. 15 will be replaced with new machines in the coming months.
The college decided not to renew its four-year lease with supplier All Pro Fitness when it ended at the beginning of January, choosing instead to add to its existing contract with Fitness Things, the current supplier for the Roche Sports Complex.
“We have no complaints regarding All Pro Fitness and their service, but it was more economical to switch providers and reduce the number of companies we were leasing from,” Associate Dean of Women Rebekah Dell said.
This change of contract affected the Benzing, Mauck, McIntyre, Olds, and Whitley dormitories. Residents expressed concern when they saw the equipment being removed, as many prefer using the small dormitory gyms to the sports complex.
“It was really convenient to have that kind of resource in my home here at Hillsdale. I liked the privacy it offered, being able to just turn on the TV and work out,” freshman McIntyre resident Glynis Gilio said.
The house directors met with administration later that week to share their residents’ concerns, many of them presenting surveys that documented the number of hours the women had spent using the home gyms. With this information, the college decided to begin processing the new lease at once, instead of waiting until summer as they originally planned.
“Our voices were heard,” Olds House Director Linda Gravel said.