Every year, on or around the anniversary of the Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision, pro-life Amer­icans descend on D.C. for the March for Life, a protest against the legal­ization of abortion. In 2015 alone, media reports estimate that more than 500,000 marchers were in the Dis­trict. This year, for the first time in my life, I had the blessing of attending with Hillsdale College’s Stu­dents for Life.

While there, I noticed some­thing rather peculiar: Roman Catholics dom­i­nated the March for Life. They waved banners and held placards with Catholic slogans on them. People on the street approached my friends and me asking us to “sign this petition to encourage the Pope!” I could hardly count the number of men and women in habits.

Throughout the March itself, many of my fellow marchers prayed the Rosary or the Hail Mary and sing Catholic hymns. The number of stu­dents rep­re­senting Catholic col­leges and high schools absolutely astounded me, and the size of the fleet of buses from local parishes amazed me. Even our campus’ del­e­gation to the March was pri­marily Catholic.

Not that this is wrong. In fact, I am very proud of my Catholic brothers and sisters for standing up against a culture of death, and I gladly stood with them. They are truly being a light unto the world, as Christ com­mands us to be. America needs her Catholic cit­izens to stand up for what is right, as they have since the 1970s. What is trou­bling to me, however, is the apparent lack of Protestant involvement with the March for Life. The March for Life does not need fewer Catholics to march every year, but more Protes­tants.

In 2013, Pew Research polled American Protes­tants about abortion, and 56 percent responded that they believed abortion is morally wrong. A full 75 percent of white evan­gel­icals and 58 percent of African-American Protes­tants believed abortion should be illegal in all or most cases. Even the 38 percent of the typ­i­cally more liberal mainline Protes­tants who said abortion should be illegal in all or most cases is sig­nif­i­cantly higher than the 25 percent of reli­giously unaf­fil­iated Amer­icans who responded the same way. So, why is the March for Life so dom­i­nated by Catholics? Why does it seem like there are so few Protes­tants?

If we truly hold these moral con­vic­tions about abortion, we must stand up for them. If abortion truly is one of the greatest evils of our time, as I have heard so many evan­gel­icals claim, then we must stand with our Catholic brothers and sisters against it. As a Church, we are not called to be flimsy, we are called to be firm. I am not asking Protes­tants to agree with Catholics on every issue — Lord knows, I cer­tainly do not. What I am asking, though, is for Protes­tants to stand with Catholics when they are in the right. That really should not be a chal­lenge so much as it is a matter of common sense.

The good news is that Protes­tants are becoming more involved with the pro-life movement in general, and the March for Life in par­ticular. At this year’s March, Russell Moore, pres­ident of the Southern Bap­tists’ Ethics and Reli­gious Liberty Com­mission, and Jim Daly, pres­ident of Focus on the Family, an evan­gelical pressure group, announced a new drive to bring more Protes­tants to D.C. in 2016.

At Hillsdale, we have a unique oppor­tunity every year at March for Life. Many stu­dents are pro-life, and pas­sionate about the issue, too. Our beliefs on abortion tran­scend denom­i­na­tional dif­fer­ences, and are one of the things which unites this campus. We ought to be sending a much larger group with Stu­dents for Life, and that requires more Protestant par­tic­i­pation. Stand up with your Catholic brothers and sisters! When you hear them sing “Ave Maria” as they march down Con­sti­tution Avenue, link arms with them and sing “Amazing Grace.” March for Life 2016 should be the biggest one yet. We are the pro-life gen­er­ation, so let’s prove it. Catholics and Protes­tants are a united front on abortion, and should be a united front at the largest pro-life rally in the world.

Previous articleThe low cost of our higher education
Next articleCareer services changes DC trip
Michael Lucchese
Michael Lucchese ‘18 is majoring in American Studies, and is a member of the Dow Journalism Program. In addition to the Collegian, he has also contributed to The Federalist, Acculturated, Conservative Review, and several other publications. In 2015, he reported on national security and foreign policy for Breitbart News. He also hosts a weekly radio show, The Michael Lucchese Show on Radio Free Hillsdale WRFH 101.7 FM. e-mail: mlucchese@hillsdale.edu Twitter: @MichaelLucchese