‘Endless River’: Pink Floyd’s stream of music ends

Home Culture ‘Endless River’: Pink Floyd’s stream of music ends

It truly is the end of an era. This past November, Pink Floyd released their final studio album, “The Endless River.” Pink Floyd is one of the most iconic bands in rock history, and they are one of the greatest progressive rock bands ever. They have influenced countless budding musicians over the years, and many of their album covers are easily recognizable pieces of pop culture. To see such an important band release their final album is bittersweet. It is, however, a fitting farewell.

In a sense, “The Endless River” is a goodbye to keyboardist Richard Wright, who died from cancer in 2008. The basis for the music comes from extra music made during the recording sessions for 1994’s “The Division Bell,” Pink Floyd’s previous album. Over the past few years, guitarist David Gilmour and drummer Nick Mason, along with other musicians and backing vocalists, returned to the studio to complete those recordings. Rick Wright’s keyboard parts were all recorded over twenty years ago, and the completion of these recordings creates a worthy send off for one of rock’s greatest keyboardists.

“The Endless River” is mainly an instrumental album, with only one song, “Louder than Words,” featuring lyrics sung by David Gilmour. This fact has caused many to dislike the album, despite it becoming the most pre-ordered album on Amazon. What those detractors are forgetting is that Pink Floyd has long been a band known for lengthy instrumental pieces throughout their catalogue. In fact, the greatest facet of Pink Floyd has always been their ability to craft interesting and complex instrumental pieces. Other people claim that without Roger Waters (who left the band after their 1983 album, “The Final Cut”), it is not Pink Floyd. Admittedly, I used to think that, but after hearing “The Endless River” I decided that the post-Waters era is still distinctly Pink Floyd, just like the pre-Gilmour era is still Pink Floyd. While it is true that their most popular, and arguably their best, music was created under the influence of Roger Waters, the Pink Floyd that emerged after his departure is still very good. “The Endless River” is no exception.

The music of “The Endless River” is, like “The Division Bell,” calm, ethereal, and relaxed. The anti-government and anarchist cries of “The Wall” (read, the cries of Roger Waters) are long gone here. Instead, a grouping of short instrumental pieces dominates the album, making the album sound rather like one long song. In that sense, it is a distinctly prog piece, because epic, flowing albums are a staple of progressive rock.

The overall theme of the album deals with connecting to the past and to each other. It is interesting that Pink Floyd chose to include recordings of Stephen Hawking speaking on the song, “Talkin’ Hawkin’.” This inclusion is a direct reference to the song “Keep Talking,” off of “The Division Bell,” which also features recordings of Stephen Hawking. The recordings are of Hawking discussing the importance of communication in the construction of society. Coupled with the title of the first song from the album, “Things Left Unsaid,” and the last song, “Louder Than Words,” Pink Floyd begs the question, what is communication? Since the only song on the album to feature singing is the final song, the listener is left to remember the Floyd music of the past. It is almost as if, at this point in their career, the band has nothing left to say. They have said it all, and they have said it well. “Louder Than Words” ends with these lyrics: “Louder than words / This thing they call soul / Is there with a pulse / Louder than words / Louder than words.” When there is nothing to say, communication is still present. The connections we make with each other and with the music are indeed louder than words.

“The Endless River” is more than a final album for Pink Floyd. It is a tribute to a beloved band member, and it is a tribute to the band itself. Musical themes from across their catalogue can be heard, and the epic guitar solos that Pink Floyd is known for are present, albeit understated. This album is fully Pink Floyd, and it is a more than perfect way to end the career of one of the greatest bands of all time.

R.I.P. Richard Wright.