Local computer store takes Hillsdale to third dimension

Home City News Local computer store takes Hillsdale to third dimension

Quality PC & Repair plans to bring 3-D printing to Hillsdale and expand its business to 17 W. Carleton St. this spring.

Owners Angela and Larry Burger hope to attract businesses and entrepreneurs to the area by designing plastic prototypes and models with 3-D printing. Also, the new technology could be used to design and print plastic prosthetics.

“The humanitarian benefits first and foremost are incredible,” said Jane Stewart, Hillsdale Business Association president and owner of Smith’s Flowers. “This innovative and new technology will put Hillsdale on the map.”

To help launch the 3-D printing expansion, Burger partnered with former engineer Mark Moore, a game tester from Blizzard Entertainment, and Bruce Sawdey, a developer of World of Warcraft.

“My partners will be down in March, and we hope to be able to provide 3-D printing services this upcoming April,” Burger said.

There will be a Kickstarter campaign launching for additional finances and promotions in the next few months.

Hillsdale native Larry Burger learned his computer skills from the Flint/Genesee Job Corps center in Flint, Michigan. A year later, Burger decided to open his own business. Inspired by seminars and books from the Life Leadership company, a renowned professional development and motivational initiative, he set out to create a unique family business for Hillsdale.

Burger opened Quality PC & Repair at 75 N. Broad St. on May 13. Since then, he’s transformed the former shoe cobbler store into an affordable computer repair store.

The little wooden storefront of Quality PC & Repair showcases old Macintosh computers and monitors as well as various computer parts scattered over the workshop tables. The store offers a wide range of services including: debugging computers, software upgrades, and iPhone and laptop screen repairs.

“We are the one stop repair shop for your computer and phone needs,” Burger said. “We are unique with the services we offer and that we charge flat rates for everything in store.”

Burger also employs Hillsdale High School students Max Hayes and Marshall Mapes so they can pursue their interests in computers and acquire hands-on job experience by helping with repairs and software issues.

“I’ve learned a lot from Larry since I’ve been here as an intern,” Hayes said. “He has been a great mentor and teacher. He is hardworking, innovative, and ambitious.”