You can help improve campus

Home Opinion You can help improve campus

Despite a prevailing college-age notion that we are ruled without consent by college authority, the administration welcomes ways to make Hillsdale better for its students, as it keeps the interests of its pupils at the heart of its mission.

This week, the Collegian Opinions page features several students with ideas for improving campus. This is not a new concept, as the paper has always been used as a forum to concoct pleas to the administration for a better student-life experience.

Former swimmer Sarah Leitner ’13 wrote a thorough piece on the need for a better and more sanitary women’s pool locker room. Not long after, the locker room was redone. Bond Pittman ’13 wrote a piece calling for Eric Metaxas as the graduation speaker. This past spring, Metaxas delivered the commencement address. Junior Chris McCaffery brought attention to the poorly functioning ID scanners outside school buildings like the Student Union. Shortly after, the scanners were fixed, and easy access to buildings after hours was restored.

Well-done, persuasive pieces that promote a legitimate cause work. Students can affect real change. Even if student pieces do not bring about change by themselves, they can get the conversation going.

And although senior Casey Harper’s extremely convincing cry last year to remove the yellow bollards that pollute campus was never answered, we are still holding out hope that the administration will address that concern as well.

All of these examples and more prove that Hillsdale students are not trapped in a mediocre status quo in their lives at the college. With a good idea, ample persuasive power, and a little bit of confidence, any student can start a conversation or plant an idea that changes campus for the better. Why don’t you give it a try?

Send your ideas to jbutler@hillsdale.edu