VITA is vital: Students volunteer to help low-income families, gain business experience

Home News VITA is vital: Students volunteer to help low-income families, gain business experience

The Internal Revenue Service-sponsored Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program allows participants to learn how to do taxes and work with low-income households to gain accounting experience through free tax consultation and e-filing.
“It’s an opportunity to learn real life skills,” VITA Program Director Diane Bach said. “They’re going to learn tax laws. They’re going to learn how to interact with clients to get the information they need to fill out tax returns. It’s just a great experience for future careers. VITA is known in the business world.”
Professor of Accounting Michael Sweeney has been in charge of Hillsdale College’s relationship with Community Action Agency, which runs the VITA program locally, for the past four years.
“Working with people one-on-one, that’s a skill set that you can’t really pick up in the classroom,” Sweeney said.
While the program may be especially appealing to accounting and business majors, Bach said those interested in criminal justice should think about participating to develop interviewing skills as well.
VITA begins in December and ends after April, with February the busiest month for tax returns. Before assisting with taxes, volunteers have to take an online course on tax policy during December and January, which can be completed over Christmas break. After the class is finished, students must pass an open-book, basic test with an 80 percent or higher. The test must be taken each year in order to volunteer.
“You have to be recertified every year, and that requires quite a few hours of studying for this test,” senior VITA participant Lindsay Kostrzewa said. “If you’ve never done it before, it’s quite a big time commitment.”
CAA has offices in Hillsdale, Jackson, and Lenawee counties. While Hillsdale’s is just south of town, it is not as large as the office in Jackson, so most students work in the headquarters there. Carpooling is available.
“As a student, it’s refreshing to step away from campus for a few hours,” senior VITA participant Ryan Richert said. “It’s never been a conflict, ‘Should I study, hang out with friends, or go prepare taxes?’ I always go back and am re-energized.”
The first few times a person volunteers, they will observe a tax appointment in order to get an understanding of how the interviewing works. After observing, students will then conduct their own appointments with an experienced volunteer at their side. All tax files are also double checked to reduce rejection rates.
“I’d feel better if my work was doubled checked,” Bach said. “Our clients like it. The IRS says if the rejection rate is 10 percent, we’re doing pretty good. Last year, ours was 4.3.”
Students at Hillsdale can volunteer with VITA and earn a credit for every 40 hours of volunteer work done, including traveling time. This year, however, students will earn an extra credit by passing the basic exam in January.
“It’s nice to get college credit,” Kostrzewa said. “You get to learn about taxes for when I do my own down the road, but also to show how much I don’t know taxes. It really opened my eyes.”
Perhaps the best part of the volunteering is helping someone who needs the assistance.
“You meet a wide spectrum of people face-to-face,” Program Coordinator Jerry Hatten said. “You’re working with the elderly, handicapped, veterans, workers, just everybody.”
While VITA will serve households with a total income below $53,000, the average income CAA serves is $15,000.
“Many students in the past said it was an eye-opening experience because they didn’t realize people could live on what little amount they did,” Bach said.
Last year, CAA prepared over 7,000 households’ returns, accumulating in $10.3 million back to clients.
“You save them all that money,” Hatten said. “They all know you’re volunteers. They’re very appreciative of your time. That’s your pay.”
Past participants in VITA enjoyed the experience they gained from the program.
“Every person is different and has a little quirk you have to figure out,” Kostrzewa said. “I really enjoy the face-to-face interaction. It’s more than doing the problems; you actually get to have a conversation and get to know their background story.”
Richert said he enjoys the conversations he has with people. He can see the impact of the policies students learn about at Hillsdale, but in real life.
“I’ve got to meet a lot of great people with unique stories and unique lives right here in Hillsdale,” Richert said. “There’s a lot of people in the apartments downtown that live by themselves because with the way things work in society today, they don’t have to reach out to people. They don’t have to go to the church or reach out to family and friends for help. They’re very isolated. I’ve been enriched to listen to them.”
Students who are interested should go to caajlh.com for more information on VITA as well as to sign up or contact Sweeney at msweeney@hillsdale.edu.
A meeting will be held at 6 p.m. on Dec. 3 in the Lane computer lab to help students get registered for the program.
“There’s a huge need for it,” Kostrzewa said. “It’s a great experience, looks great on a resume, and you get more credit this year for it.”