Pro­fessor of Spanish Olga  Muñiz is giving her Intensive Inter­me­diate Spanish class the chance to not just read Spanish lit­er­ature, but do their best to write some.

The class read “El Delantal Blanco,” trans­lated “The White Apron,” a Spanish one-act play by Sergio Vodanović. The ironic, witty play fin­ishes on an open-ended note, leaving the reader curious and desiring more. In an effort to give closure, Muñiz assigned the class the task of writing their own sequel act.

Each member of the class scripted in Spanish his own ending to the piece they read, and the over­whelming cre­ativity inspired Muñiz. Impressed with her stu­dents, she sug­gested the class do some­thing not typ­i­cally done in a Spanish class: perform one of the com­po­si­tions. Though the class did not expect it, they responded with enthu­siasm.

With pre­vious classes, Muñiz has pro­posed the idea of acting out a piece from the class, but never has she received such a pos­itive response.

“[Nor­mally] people are afraid of doing it. This class is very excited about the whole thing,” Muñiz said. “It was just an idea. Like I tell my stu­dents, it was one seed that began to grow…They showed interest, so I decided to elab­orate it.”

Muñiz chose the second act written by freshman Madeleine Jepsen for the class to perform. Jepsen, who has been taking Spanish courses since fourth grade, hopes to pursue a career that involves writing, but has minimal expe­rience in writing plays.

“I wrote it as if it would be per­formed,” she said, “but not actually thinking we would be per­forming it.”

The per­for­mance is non-mandatory, but every member of the class will be involved in one way or another. Some stu­dents vol­un­teered for roles in Jepsen’s sequel, “El Delantal Blanco: Despues de las Vaca­ciones Playeras (The white apron: after the vacation at the beach),” and have begun rehearsing for the show; others will be reciting poetry or playing music per­taining to the setting of the play.

Freshmen Brant Cohen, playing the role of “el señor,” did not expect to be per­forming for an audience as part of a Spanish class, but thinks this per­for­mance “offers a good oppor­tunity to see a dif­ferent culture, an insight into a dif­ferent form of art and lit­er­ature.”

Com­plete with simple cos­tumes and set, Muñiz’s stu­dents are turning her little idea into a highly-antic­i­pated per­for­mance.

Native to Puerto Rico, Muñiz has been teaching Spanish for 32 years, 24 of which have been at Hillsdale. She teaches advanced Spanish grammar, oral Spanish, and lit­er­ature, and gives her classes the oppor­tunity to be cre­ative. In the past, Muñiz has worked with her stu­dents to create mag­a­zines or recite poetry in Spanish.

“[This is a chance] to see all the talent these stu­dents have, the cre­ativity, and to see what we can do with the Spanish lan­guage, not just take exams and quizzes,” Muñiz said.

All are encouraged to support  class­mates and attend the per­for­mance in Conrad Recital Hall on Sunday, Nov. 23 at 7 p.m.