On Sunday, the college choir and chamber choir will perform one of Dan Forrest’s most acclaimed com­po­si­tions, “Requiem for the Living,” at College Baptist Church. The concert will open at 3 p.m. with a special piece from the chamber choir.

“It is designed to be in remem­brance — it is for those who are still here,” said music department chair James Holleman.

Although Hillsdale’s choir of approx­i­mately 112 voices will perform the piece, this version of “Requiem” is fitted specif­i­cally for a small orchestra. Stu­dents will be singing parts nor­mally played by an oboe, flute, French horn, harp, violin, and cello. Instead of the choir singing the per­cussion and organ pieces, faculty member Stacy Jones will play the per­cussion, and Debbie Wyse will play the organ.

“Requiem” is approx­i­mately 40 minutes long. Ini­tially com­posed in 2011, it has since become known as one of Dan Forrest’s best work.

“‘Requiem for the Living’ will assume a place among the staples of grand choral lit­er­ature,” wrote Paul Williams of the Clas­sical Voice of North Car­olina, an online per­forming arts journal.

The choir per­for­mance will feature a prelude to “Requiem” with another one of Forrest’s work, “A Prayer Before Singing,” sung by the chamber choir.

There is an inten­tional chronology in this song order.

“The chamber choir has a slightly morbid theme in our music this semester,” choir manager and junior Ellen Hogan said. “We will be singing a number of smaller pieces which all have the encom­passing theme of loss. ‘Peace,’ for example, talks about blessing those who have pre­vi­ously passed. Most of these pieces have dif­ficult har­monies and inter­esting lay­ering that are always a blast to sing,”

“Requiem” is the chamber choir’s primary work this semester.

Hillsdale choir’s expe­rience with Dan Forrest’s work largely began last year with the per­for­mance of “Entreat Me Not to Leave You.”

“It was really mean­ingful to them, so I was familiar with this com­poser,” Holleman said.

This summer, vocal department head Melissa Osmond sang a per­for­mance of “Requiem” in Chicago, where Dan Forrest himself was part of the pro­duction. Melissa brought the work to my Pro­fessor Holleman’s attention and encouraged him to take a look at it.

“The stu­dents are really enjoying singing it. You should expect to come out of the per­for­mance feeling uplifted,” Holleman said. “It’s beau­tiful music, just the right level of chal­lenging for us. Ninety five percent is Latin, from the Requiem text.”

For the concert on Nov. 16, no tickets are nec­essary to attend.