Chargers earn top NCAA academic ranking

Home Sports Chargers earn top NCAA academic ranking

Hillsdale College earned an impressive 92 rating on the National Collegiate Athletics Association’s (NCAA) annual Academic Success Rate report which was released last Thursday.

The ASR rating tells the percentage of all student-athletes who graduate within six years of their original college enrollment.  The statistics used for Hillsdale’s rating are from student-athletes enrolled between 2004-2007.

“I am pleased the Academic Success Rate for our student athletes has continued to increase, and that we are now at a level that has earned national recognition,” Director of Athletics Don Brubacher said.

Hillsdale is one of 24 Division II institutions to be recognized with the NCAA Presidents’ Award for Academic Excellence, which acknowledges institutions that reach an ASR of over 90. Hillsdale is the only GLIAC school among the recognized.

Of those recognized, Hillsdale is in a minority: Less than half of the schools recognized have football programs at their institutions.

“This year’s Presidents’ Award for Academic Excellence honorees are outstanding examples of Division II’s success in the classroom and off the field,” said Tom Haas, president of Grand Valley State University and chair of the Division II Presidents Council, in the NCAA press release. “We are delighted to share in their successes and commend them for their continued excellence.”

“This does not represent the end goal for academic success for our student athletes, though,” Brubacher said.  “We intend to see the ASR at Hillsdale College improve in the future.”