Last week, the Col­legian covered the pro­posed amendment to the Student Fed­er­ation Con­sti­tution, which would secure a seat for a member of the Van Andel Graduate School of States­manship.

The idea has been in play since last year, and is shared by the under­graduate stu­dents as it does to the graduate stu­dents. The grad stu­dents inter­viewed made the only two argu­ments nec­essary to see that imple­menting the amendment needs no debate. Give the grad stu­dents a seat.

“Tax­ation without rep­re­sen­tation” was the ral­lying cry of the American Rev­o­lution, appears on every Wash­ington, D.C. license plate, and lies at the heart of the statesmen-in-training’s desire to have a seat at the Student Fed fleet of tables. As the article men­tioned last week, grad stu­dents pay student fees like the rest of campus. They should have a voice in how those fees are spent. If you’re worried about a coup by the didn’t-want-to-stop-going-to-schoolers, stop it. They want one seat. That’s only a little more power than Queen Eliz­abeth II. It’ll be the most effi­cient seat on the Fed, too: one proto-statesman rep­re­senting a couple dozen more.

So, there’s your justice argument. The graduate stu­dents just want all their rights of Hillsdale cit­i­zenship. Plus, Hillsdale is a college, a part­nership. Though these are late addi­tions to the part­nership, it doesn’t make them less a part of it. Christ’s parable of the laborers, in which the same denarius was paid “unto this last” — the late arrivals to the field — as was paid to the men who came with the dawn, denies us a right to reject the graduate stu­dents’ desire to join with us in the priv­ilege of student gov­ernment.

The Hillsdale student com­munity is more than the events and clubs that the Student Fed­er­ation finances and facil­i­tates. While the inte­gration of the graduate stu­dents into this com­munity can only take time and charity, taking this finite step toward further friendship between grad stu­dents and under­grads is simple.