In modern America, appearance is every­thing, espe­cially how one views him or herself. When a group of people feels sub­ju­gated by their envi­ron­mental con­di­tions, they view them­selves crit­i­cally, and someone must stand against the vic­tim­ization and injustice.

A defining char­ac­ter­istic of a girl’s appearance is her locks: The tresses are curled or flat­tened, blow-dried and sham­pooed and con­di­tioned with such great care that each strand is per­fectly pic­turesque (until 30 minutes later when the wind creates a crow’s nest upon her head). But the ‘do will cer­tainly still be the key to nailing that interview, getting that guy or impressing her friends at lunch. In essence, the hair gives a woman that extra boost in con­fi­dence she needs to conquer the world. But on bad hair days, girls tend to be more dis­tracted, annoyed and insecure.

However, the care of one’s hair has become a chal­lenge for some female stu­dents. When the shower head in one’s dorm only crests at approx­i­mately 5 feet 6 inches, give or take an inch depending on the shower head, the girl above the average height — 5 feet 4 inches, according to the Centers for Disease Control — is doomed to awk­wardness and humil­i­ation as she hits her head on the shower pipe and must crouch to rinse her hair or else consign herself to the far worse suf­fering of not having silky, shiny, dan­druff-free hair. Many girls gripe that having to adjust the shower head and stand in dif­ferent pos­tures makes show­ering take a longer time.

What’s com­pletely unfair is that the boys don’t have to suffer through this bur­densome rite. As careful mea­suring has revealed, the shower heads in the boys’ bath­rooms are higher than those in the girls’. In Simpson, the shower heads are around 6 feet 2 inches in height.

Men do tend to be taller than women, as the average male height is around 5 feet 10 inches. This means, though, that while the girls’ showers are only 2 inches taller than the female average height, the guys’ are 4 inches higher.

This lim­i­tation on the height of women’s showers demon­strates a restriction on their greater ambi­tions, cre­ating a glass ceiling and ful­filling the truth of the war on women.

According to the American Psy­chology Asso­ci­ation, taller people nor­mally earn more money and have more con­fi­dence in them­selves. However, with the height of the shower heads, women are forced to shorten them­selves, which crumbles their self-esteem and makes them feel uncom­fortable with their bodies.

Virtual reality studies have shown by making someone view the world from a shorter per­spective, sub­jects report feelings of infe­ri­ority, weakness and incom­pe­tence.

There already exists a con­fi­dence gap between men and women, seeing that women are paid less than men, aren’t pro­moted as fast and there are fewer women in top posi­tions in the business world. Not to mention, when women do assert them­selves, they are made to feel guilty about it and called the “b‑word”: bossy.

It is absurd that this patri­archal oppression of women in day-to-day life has been per­mitted to stand when we cannot stand in the shower. We must unite together in order to fight this une­gal­i­tarian per­se­cution.

By forcing women most specif­i­cally to decrease their height, they feel less capable, and at an insti­tution that demands stu­dents to perform at the highest of expec­ta­tions, self-con­fi­dence is essential to achieving that goal.

The unequal dif­ference in the height of the shower heads from that of the average height in the men’s and women’s dorms makes it just the more dif­ficult for women to succeed and win the war against them and their fab­ulous hair.

Previous articleBusinesses accept credit cards
Next articleCharger Chatter: Dr. Willson
Breana Noble
Breana Noble is The Collegian's Editor-in-Chief. She is a born and raised Michigander and studies politics and journalism. This summer, Breana interned in New York City at TheStreet, a business and finance news website. She has previously worked for The Detroit News, The American Spectator, and Newsmax Media. She eventually hopes to pursue a career in investigative journalism. email: bnoble1@hillsdale.edu | twitter: @RightandNoble