Softball wins academic award

Home Sports Softball wins academic award

With an average GPA of 3.47, higher than Hillsdale College’s overall average, the 2013-14 Charger softball team earned the National Fastpitch Coaches Association Academic Team Award. Despite Hillsdale’s academic rigor, the team’s GPA ranked 14th highest amongst all NCAA Division II teams.

“This award shows that being average or mediocre isn’t good enough,” senior softball player Jessica Day said. “As a team, we strive to be the best and we won’t settle for anything less than this.”

Junior Ainsley Ellison added the award shows how well the team works together.

“Especially considering the types of classes we’re taking, we know we’re a smart team,” Ellison said. “And we’re not just in it for ourselves — we’re excited for everyone. It shows the team’s strong work ethic and how we keep each other accountable.”

Director of Athletics Don Brubacher believes this accolade proves Hillsdale College athletics achieves its goal of ensuring student athletes maintain the same standards of academic success as the rest of the student body.

Head women’s softball coach Joe Abraham agreed, saying the softball team members exemplify the type of student Hillsdale seeks to promote.

“We strongly believe all the team epitomizes everything Hillsdale is about,” Abraham said. “The girls developed a culture where they expect each other to do well in the classroom. From athletics to academics, our team fulfills the mission and purpose of the college.”

Since Abraham took over coaching the team three years ago, its average GPA has increased every semester. Players and administrators recognize his emphasis on academic success largely influenced that result.

“As Coach Joe has high expectations for us, we ultimately do what we have to do in order to achieve these expectations he has set. He’s really big on how our actions represent Hillsdale College and what we stand for,” Day said.  “With this, I believe it has really motivated us to give our program the highest reputation not only on the field, but in the classroom as well.”

Jeff Lantis, director of external relations for athletics, noted the team’s recognition speaks to the high quality of all Hillsdale students.

“We’ve always been known for our student athletes, and students who can succeed in the classroom and in any extracurricular activity show the quality of character of the student body,” Lantis said. “It takes a balance between commitment to talent and commitment to academics to do both.”

To help his players reach this balance, Abraham mandates they turn in a report of their grades, upcoming tests and projects, and tally of missed classes with explanations weekly. Using that information, the coaches form the team’s practice schedule to ensure players have enough time to devote to their studies, particularly during busy weeks around mid-terms and finals.

Also, when the team travels, Abraham said the bus will make a special trip to the classroom buildings before leaving, so players can stay in their classes until the “last possible minute.”

Like all Charger teams, the softball team holds study tables, which are mandatory for first semester freshmen and those below a certain GPA. This year, for the first time, all sophomores, juniors, and seniors grades are high enough so that they’re not required to attend. Yet, Abraham said some still go to support the younger members.

In order to earn academic awards like this, Brubacher said coaches must recruit carefully.

“Students have to be academically dedicated to make it at Hillsdale,” Brubacher said. “The academic rigor is so high that coaches communicate as excessively as possible the work here will be just as high in the classroom as on the court.”

Abraham affirmed he ensures potential recruits understand that they’re attending Hillsdale for more than just playing softball.

“We make it abundantly clear that these girls are in for a serious academic challenge,” Abraham said. “If they don’t want that, they don’t want to come here and it filters out anyone who’s not serious.”

Although the team and administration is excited for the recognition, many admit if the GPAs were adjusted to account for Hillsdale’s academic rigor compared to that of other schools, the team would have placed much higher.

“When adjusted, it probably would have been a 3.8 or 3.9,” Lantis said.

“In reality, we were first, and it’s not even remotely close,” Abraham added.

“Our student athletes often don’t receive the recognition they should because of Hillsdale’s grading scale, but it makes it worth so much more than most when we do win like this,” Brubacher said.