A nine-year-old boy in senior Evan Sassack’s neigh­borhood was diag­nosed with non-Hodgkin lym­phoma four years ago. In a drive to help find a stem cell donor, over 200 people, including Sassack, gave DNA cheek swab samples to Be the Match, an orga­ni­zation that con­nects vol­unteer blood and marrow donors with patients in need.

Although Sassack was not a match for the boy, he received a call from the orga­ni­zation that his DNA was similar enough to donate to another patient. His expe­rience with Be the Match would prompt him to host a drive that matched two patients with Hillsdale College stu­dents: junior Andrew Hoffer and senior Cassidy Kaufman.

Since only 30 percent of patients have familial donors, Be the Match con­nects the remaining 70 percent with reg­is­tered donors. Dona­tions include peripheral blood stem cells (PBSC) and bone marrow for patients suf­fering from one of 16 dif­ferent dis­eases, including forms of leukemia and lym­phoma.

“A lot of people don’t know there is a cure for blood cancer, but there is,” said Barbara Hile, manager of the stem cell program for Be the Match. “It’s with that anonymous vol­unteer donor where we cure cancer.”

After blood tests con­firmed Sassack as the best match for the patient, he donated PBSC in January to help a girl outside the United States.

For the PBSC donation, which makes up 90 percent of Be the Match dona­tions, donors are given a drug called fil­grastim to increase blood-forming stem cells. The donor’s blood is removed through a needle in the arm and passes through a machine that takes only the stem cells. The red blood cells return through a needle in the other arm. On average, this apheresis session takes eight hours with about two days of recovery for the donor.

A courier travels with the donation to wherever the patient is for the trans­plant. Due to patient con­fi­den­tiality, the patient and donor cannot contact with consent until one year after the donation.

The prime age for donors ranges from 18 to 25.

“College stu­dents have the world’s best bone marrow,” Hile said. “You have a lot of cells, and those cells are very hyper, so when we give those cells to a patient who has vir­tually no immune system, they’re healthy, and they go to work quickly. Young donors produce the best trans­plant success rate since as we age, cells do too.”

After learning of the dif­fi­culty to reg­ister to donate on college cam­puses, Sassack decided to hold a drive at Hillsdale’s student athlete physical day in April.

“To get into the college athlete com­munity, it’s very tough to do because there’s not a lot of college athlete donors,” Sassack said. “I thought, ‘That’s such a shame. If you have these prime donors, why can’t I take it one step further and tap into that donor database that could obvi­ously be a lot of benefit?’”

Sta­tis­ti­cally, only about one in 500 donors are con­tacted because they are the closest match to a patient. Sassack’s drive beat these odds, however. Of the 100 stu­dents that gave a DNA sample at the drive, Be the Match found two donors.

“That Cassidy and Andrew came up with a match so quickly again reit­erates that those young donors are what we need,” Hile said. “They are the best chance for trans­plant.”

Hoffer reg­is­tered, wanting to show support for the work of the orga­ni­zation, but did not believe he would be selected to donate.

“I was pretty shocked,” Hoffer said on being matched. “I felt very blessed and honored. I told myself this is a once in a lifetime oppor­tunity almost nobody gets to have, and it’s really a blessing.”

Hoffer is scheduled to donate PBSC this week.

Kaufman’s mother, who has donated a gallon of blood in total to the American Red Cross, and his neighbor who had leukemia, inspired him to reg­ister.

“Hon­estly, it’s a miracle to be paired with this indi­vidual to help him,” Kaufman said. “If I can help in any way, sure why not? God totally ordained this, and the fact I can be used like that, it’s way cool.”

Kaufman plans to donate bone marrow in the middle of November. The pro­cedure is more invasive as it includes general anes­thesia and drilling into the pelvic bone to obtain the bone marrow for donation. Recovery takes about a week for this surgery.

While these stu­dents may have found matches, many patients are still without a donor, including the boy in Sassack’s neigh­borhood who put him on the reg­istry in the first place.

“They need more people,” Kaufman said. “The bigger pool they get, the more options they get to help people. It’s such a small price, and you’re lit­erally saving a person’s life.”

Be the Match pays for all expenses for donors, including travel costs and medical fees. The orga­ni­zation is one of the largest unre­lated marrow trans­plant reg­istries in the world and con­tinues to develop ser­vices and inter­active tech­nologies to reach more patients.

“The more people sign up and send in their samples, the better chance somebody could find a donor and have their life saved,” Hoffer said.

Since his donation and the drive, Sassack has remained involved with Be the Match.

This summer, he spoke alongside two other donors at a hearing on a Michigan bill that would allow drivers to pur­chase license plates with the Michigan Blood Fund logo. Revenue from the bill would go to funding orga­ni­za­tions including Be the Match. The state Senate passed the bill unan­i­mously on Sept. 10, and the bill cur­rently rests in the House.

Sassack hopes to host another donation drive at Hillsdale, but this time, open it to the entire student body. Until then, stu­dents can go to BetheMatch.org to visit the orga­ni­zation.

“God put the oppor­tunity in my life,” Sassack said. “It’s been a blessing. It’s very hum­bling. Any help they can get, they appre­ciate it, espe­cially from kids our age.”

Previous articleSabbatical life: student-free study
Next articleThis one’s on me
Breana Noble
Breana Noble is The Collegian's Editor-in-Chief. She is a born and raised Michigander and studies politics and journalism. This summer, Breana interned in New York City at TheStreet, a business and finance news website. She has previously worked for The Detroit News, The American Spectator, and Newsmax Media. She eventually hopes to pursue a career in investigative journalism. email: bnoble1@hillsdale.edu | twitter: @RightandNoble