Pep Band expands

Home News Pep Band expands

What do Lady Gaga’s “Poker Face,” “The Imperial March” from Star Wars, and Hillsdale College’s fight song all have in common? All can be found on the pages strewn across the music stands of the Hillsdale College Pep Band.

The pep band, 25 members strong, is always in attendance at home football and basketball games. They gained around 10 members and  10 of the 25 students in the pep band are freshmen, giving the band a solid foundation for the coming years. With the help of new members, increased support from peers, and a $1492.32 contribution from the Student Federation, the band is looking to have its best year yet.

Back-to-back appearances in the Student Activities Board’s pep rally on Sept. 19  and the first home football game the next day gave the pep band its first chance to show the rest of campus what they’re all about this year. Upbeat songs and a strong sound characterized the performances.

“I think it’s tying into the student movement of getting more involved with sporting events in general,” sophomore Student Director Hank Prim said. “We’re playing more than we have in the past and we’ve been received better than in the past.”

“We’re with the students, so we feel their emotions; we feel their excitement, and we can make that even better,” freshman alto saxophone player Brant Cohen added.

Thanks to a generous contribution from Student Fed last semester, the band was able to purchase music stands to use at performances.  Instead of the clip-on folders that most marching bands use for their music, the pep band uses binders, so the stands were a necessary investment.

“Student Federation is here to help clubs carry out some of their goals.  We felt the request was important for the pep band to carry out their goal of enhancing our sporting events through music,” Student Fed President Arielle Mueller said regarding the music stand contribution.

Walk by Howard Music Hall on any given Friday afternoon, and the band will be practicing its diverse selection of stand music for sporting events.  Practices and events are largely student-run under the direction of Prim, with Lecturer in Music Robert Henthorne acting as the group’s adviser.

Cohen praised the student leaders of the band, noting that they have been “really welcoming and inviting” throughout his transition to the new group.

With several new faces, the group is optimistic about their future presence on campus.

The band has always been a vital aspect of Charger spirit on campus, but the increased support and positive energy backing the group is sure to make this year one to remember.

As Prim remarked, “The band’s really excited; I’m excited; the student section’s excited.  We started out strong and we’ll only get stronger.”