Fraternities admit 30 new members

Home News Fraternities admit 30 new members

Hillsdale’s four fraternities gained 30 new members this fall.
Sigma Chi has 11 pledges, Alpha Tau Omega has eight, Delta Tau Delta has six, and Delta Sigma Phi has five.
The Sigma Chis welcomed 11 new members out of only 12 bids given out. As in previous years, this pledge class is very involved in campus activities, particularly GOAL. However, unlike previous years, four of the members of this pledge class are older or upperclassmen. Senior Sigma Chi recruitment chair Bert Hasler said he believes that this is the defining characteristic of this pledge class.
“We’re hoping that they will step up the leadership front, and lead these kids to a great semester,” Hasler said.
He said he felt the group naturally related to the Sigma Chi actives, leading to a smooth bid process.
Although the ATOs have found new members all over campus, over half of them live in Niedfelt Residence, and three of the eight play golf. Several are also involved in intramural sports on campus, according to sophomore Eric Ragan, ATO recruitment chair.
“They seem to be already a fairly tight-knit group of guys. They seem very motivated and very interested in the chapter, which is exciting to see,” Ragan said.
The DTDs said they are thrilled with the diversity of their new members. Although four of the six come from Galloway Residence, they are all involved in a variety of sports, fine arts, and majors. Sophomore Will Veitkus, DTD recruitment chair, described this pledge class as “passionate about everything.”
“Everything they do, they seem like they are 110 percent invested in,” Veitkus said.
Their excitement about DTD showed when they stayed at the pick-up party until 2 or 3 a.m. Veitkus said there was a bonfire, movies, video games, and much more.
DSP said they believe their newest members will become leaders in the house. Though four of the five new members play football, junior DSP recruitment chair Xavier Pennell said he’s hoping to change the fraternity’s identity from football players to athletes. Pennell believes that these new members have a promising future.
“With some of the guys in this pledge class, I see a lot more potential for leadership,” Pennell said. “I’m actually seeing some guys that are president material a year or two down the road.”