Most people who have read the Harry Potter series have dreamed of sitting in the stands of the Hog­warts quid­ditch pitch with their house­mates cheering for their team. Some dream of flying around on their own broom, playing the game them­selves. Now, this dream can be a reality for Hillsdale stu­dents. Almost.

This year, for the first time in the college’s history, Hillsdale will have a quid­ditch club. The club will have an infor­ma­tional meeting in the next few weeks, and plans to hold regular prac­tices and games at Hayden Park in the spring.

Sophomore Cheyenne Trimels, the club’s pres­ident, arrived at Hillsdale knowing that she would play quid­ditch one way or another. Her love of Harry Potter led her to plan a club even before arriving on campus her freshman year. Along with her friend and vice pres­ident of the club, sophomore Alexander Reuss, she spent a year strug­gling to form the club. Hillsdale’s quid­ditch team made its first showing this year at the Source, the college’s club fair.

Although quid­ditch is not an option for “muggles,” according to the J.K. Rowling series, col­leges across the country have created a way to play the game without flying brooms and winged balls. Trimels described the game as “a com­bi­nation of lacrosse, vol­leyball, dodgeball, and tag.”

There are four basic posi­tions in quid­ditch, each roughly cor­re­sponding to one of the listed sports. Chasers run back and forth on the pitch, trying to score points by tossing vol­ley­balls into the hoops on either side of the field. Keepers, who serve as goalies, block scoring attempts from the opposing team. Beaters are respon­sible for roaming the field wielding dodge­balls to knock the balls from other players’ hands. Mean­while, the seeker tries to catch the snitch — a non­af­fil­iated indi­vidual who runs around with a ball tied to their waist. Throughout the game, all tasks are played one-handed, as each player must hold a broom between their legs.

The club has enjoyed a pos­itive response from both stu­dents and faculty alike. At the Source, the club was met with an impressive amount of interest, with more than 150 people who signed up to join. Both Reuss and Trimels were thrilled about the reception.

“It’s always pretty great seeing that some­thing fairly important to you is actually suc­cessful,” Reuss said. “That some­thing you’re inter­ested in, other people are also inter­ested in.”

Trimels said that every teacher she talked to has shown enthu­siasm and even planned to watch games to show their support.

Freshman Ilsa Epling recalled jumping up and down when she heard about the new club. Moments after signing up, Epling turned around to recruit other stu­dents.

“I’m excited to be a part of a team sport for the first time in my pre­vi­ously home­schooled life,” she said. She con­fessed that she was nervous for the same reason.

The club hopes to be a haven for jocks and nerds alike, however.

“You don’t have to be a super nerd to do it, but you also don’t have to be super ath­letic,” Reuss said.

If playing the sport does not appeal to stu­dents, there are other ways to get involved.

Even­tually the club will host Harry Potter nights where group members can watch movies, talk about the books, and “nerd out over Harry Potter.”

Both Reuss and Trimels empha­sized that, as excited as they are about the sport itself, they also hope the club will create friend­ships with people they might not have oth­erwise met.