Greek twins play long distance

Home Features Greek twins play long distance

From the side of the basketball court a fan is hard pressed to tell twins Christos and Stefanos Giannakopoulous apart, if it was not for their jersey numbers, 34 and 52.

The brothers, both towering at 6’5” hail from Athens, Greece nearly 5300 miles from Michigan.
Because Greek high schools do not have basketball teams, Chris and Steve began their careers playing on club teams as shooting guards. Though they have played on the same team their whole lives, they rarely play on the court together.
The brothers said they play a similar game that often causes the substitutions.
“As soon as I come out, he is my substitution,” Steve said.
“My brother and I think the same way, so we make a lot of mistakes together,” Chris added. “That’s why we avoid playing at the same time.”
Steve and Chris endured the extensive recruiting process together for multiple years. Hillsdale College Men’s Basketball Coach John Tharp first saw the twins play when he visited Greece to watch a tournament. The brothers said their communication with Tharp over the following years played an influential role in their decision to attend Hillsdale College.
“Coach Tharp knew my coach back in Greece,” Steve said. “They had a good relationship, and my coach trusted him, so I trusted him.”
As Tharp got to know the brothers’ personalities and their skills, he was eager to get them to Hillsdale.
“When we skyped with them, they were personable and had big smiles on their faces,” Tharp said. “They were so thankful for the opportunity to come here and to get a good education.”
Tharp knew the twins were hardworking students so he made sure to stress the college’s academic rigor.
“The basketball program is great and I knew that,” Chris said.“But we were also looking at the academic background.”
As Chris conducted his college research, he was impressed with the college’s high post-graduate employment statistics. Academics were a priority and basketball was an added perk—an opportunity that was not available to the brothers at Greek universities.
“It was such a good combination of basketball and academics,” Chris said. “It’s the one we were searching for.”
Tharp’s promotion of the school prompted the boys to take the SAT, pack their bags, and venture across the world to the small town of Hillsdale, Mich.
Since the basketball team started preseason workouts, the boys have yet to slow down.
“Everything is very organized,” Steve said. “We have a strict schedule, so we always know what to do. It’s different in Greece where everyone is very last minute.”
Despite the long and grueling practices and lifting schedules, the twins said that they enjoy the packed agenda.
“We are practicing and lifting every day, and I just love it,” Steve said. “I can’t feel my legs and I love it.”
Adjusting to the level of play has added challenges embedded in the rigorous schedule of the college basketball program. Steve said that basketball in America is much more physical. The players in Greece are not as athletic and the game goes without high jumping and dunking.
“I think the hardest part is that the mentality is different,” he said.
Chris said their age has also influenced the way they practice.
“One of the difficulties is that we are the youngest freshmen here,” he said. “To be good, we
need to put a lot of effort in. Believe me, it’s very tough.”
In order to stay competitive, the twins must dedicate an extensive amount of time on the court and in the gym. Tharp said he recognizes this challenge but has faith in the twins’ dedication.
“We know they are going to work incredibly hard,” Tharp said. “They have those personalities that make them very easy to love and support so we’re hoping they can be incredibly successful.”
Although the pressure continues, the camaraderie found in the college community maintains their morale. The brothers said that not only does the basketball team feel like a family, but they are also welcomed by rest of the campus.
“Everyone smiles at you, even if they don’t know you,” Chris said. “For some people that is nothing, but to me that is a huge thing.”