Go to football games

Home Opinion Go to football games

Every day, emails flood mailboxes with advertisements for speeches, discussions, luncheons, presentations, meetings, concerts, and recitals, among other things. Students here do not suffer from a lack of mental stimulation.

But one thing students here often do lack is the collegiate combo of fresh air and school spirit, conveniently found at home football games. This (almost) weekly fall event slides into the metaphorical email trash folder week after week.

Leave the library, your dorm room, and AJ’s, and go to the games. There are only five home games this year, and more than that number of reasons to attend.

Just as we marvel at the finesse of a Tower Dancer and the skill of the pianist, so too should we appreciate the extraordinarily high level of Hillsdale athletics. For a Division II school, we have one of the smallest student bodies in the conference, but we are able to achieve success against much bigger and less academically challenging institutions. Appreciate it. The fine arts core classes require attendance at arts events all year long. Such a requirement to attend so many athletic events would be drastic, but there is merit to the idea.

Football games offer tailgating, face painting, and cheering ridiculously loudly with friends, all facets of the collegiate experience. At Hillsdale, we already sacrifice many of the experiences large universities have to offer. Many of these sacrifices, we all agree, are for the better. College football game days do not have to be one of them. Fresh air, fun, and camaraderie make for a memorable Saturday afternoon.

Besides, our players and cheerleaders need your support. Every student counts. Leave extra credit reading behind, stay for the second half (when things really get exciting), and enjoy some Charger football.