Broadstreet adds “Underground” bar and game room

Home News Broadstreet adds “Underground” bar and game room

In just a few short weeks, Broadstreet Downtown Market and Tavern will kick off summer in Hillsdale with a renovated “Downtown Underground” that offers a full-service bar, pool tables, darts, and corn-hole.

“If everything goes according to plan, we’re planning to be open in three to four weeks,” said Robert Socha, co-owner and manager of Broadstreet. “We’ll be catering to the faculty, locals, grads, and students in summer school. We’re looking forward to having a lot of fun things going on.”

The Hillsdale City Council approved Broadstreet’s Obsolete Property Rehabilitation Exemption application on May 5. The OPRA will waive property taxes for Broadstreet over the next 10 years, allowing it to focus on renovations.

“[The OPRA] was for the city to freeze the taxes so that we’re not paying taxes for the first 10 years; that’s to give us an incentive to move forward with the project,” Socha said. “That was the city cooperating with us to make things happen.”

While the Underground will only be available to guests 21 and over, Socha said he hopes to have a “non-alcoholic night” where underage students can enjoy the Broadstreet entertainment venue.

“One of the things we’re wanting to do on the non-alcoholic night is use a local Michigan root beer,” Socha said. “We want a place where everybody’s welcome and build a bridge between the college and community. It’ll be a fun, relaxing place.”

In addition to a non-alcoholic night, Socha plans to provide entertainment almost every evening.

“We’re going to do live music or DJ on Fridays and Saturdays,” Socha said. “Thursday nights we’re thinking of mixing between karaoke, open mic — maybe trivia. Wednesdays in the summer nights we’re going to have a bike night. Sundays in the fall we’ll open it up for football and have a couple big screens.”

For more City News updates, follow The Collegian on Twitter @HDaleCollegian

Follow Kate Patrick @katepatrick_